Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a mazdaspeed ebrake handle to go with my mazdaspeed shift knob and decided I would try to install it. I searched for awhile on how to install one and only found one post by Nate saying you have to shave down the plastic to slide it on. Since that was all I found, I figured, I would post a how to. so here goes.

Take the center console off by taking the screws out. You will also have to unclip the shifter bezel and rotate it out of the way. once you get those out of the way, you will need a nice sharp box cutter.

Now lay the new handle against the stock one and score the length you will need to cut. Now, just cut down the top middle or bottom middle of the ebrake handle and then around the outer edge. Pull it off the ebrake and it will look like this.

Now you can slide the new handle over the button and down the ebrake. You will notice it will not go all the way down.

There are three things you need to do. first unscrew the button till it comes off and looks like this.

Because our buttons are square shaped and not round, you will need to take a dremel or some sandpaper or razor knife and smooth it down so it is round.

To make sure it fits, drop the button down into the new handle and make sure it slide all the way through and out. Then you can sand the button smooth and paint it with some testers model paint or whatever you like.

I plan on looking for other buttons that I might could use instead of the stock one, but I'm not sure anyone makes them. I might could get one off a protege or miata or m3 and if I find something better I will use that, but for now, I painted it black and screwed it back on. Now the second reason the new handle wont fit is because the base starts to curve before the new handle gets far enough down the ebrake. Now you will need to take a dremel with this attatchment and grind the curve at the base until it allows the length of the handle to come down.

You still may not be able to get it all the way down because there is one more thing you will need to do. If you look inside the new handle, there is a white plastic ring on the top inner part. You are going to have to grind the metal at the top of the ebrake down to where it clears that inner white plastic piece.It will look like this.

Once you do that, your new handle should slide all the way down to where you cut the plastic. It will look like this.

Now put your center console and shifter bezel back on. Now my handle came with a piece of foam with one sticky side. You will have to stick that to the ebrake and then slide the new handle back down. This piece is just to help it hold. Then line it up like you want and mine had a little allen screw to tighten down so do that and you should be done. Here is the finished product.

Mods, if this is worthy, please post in the projects section.

Heather

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
looks great heather, really accents your shift know nicely! if you don;t mind me asking, how much was an aftermarkey e-brake handle? if it'll let me you just earned yourself some more karma, seems like very project on this car is earning you more!

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed a mazda dealership on ebay that had them for sale, but for like 75.00 and I didnt want to pay that much so I emailed and asked him if he would sell me one for 50.00 and he said yes so I paypaled him and just got it in the mail today and couldnt wait to install it!

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only took about an hour. actually it was quite simple or alot more simple than some of the other projects I've done.

Heather

1 - 9 of 9 Posts