Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you fellow ATX'ers do when you are at the track.

DO you build up the torque (hold brake, give gas until it doesnt move) or do you just take off like you usually would?

I did the torque build up last time and didnt work too good, wondereed what you guys thought

Thanx
Justin

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
torque build up will not work, as our trannys have safty switch wich prevents High revs on D ingage..... the torque buildup you described(or i understood) will not work that well as our engines have low RPM torque(thats 2.2 anyway)
What i do, is just chuck the HOLD on and hammer, thats the best way IMO anyway ;)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i read you want to turbo your auto! Not a good idea. Get a manual first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the info buddy! I would have NEVER known to convert! :eek:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yup, you should never turbo an auto with your stock tranny. Well you can turbo it if change it (ATX to diff ATX).. but it works better with a 5spd. As for launching. I've tried that "hold button" thing and it works BUT it doesn't work that well. However when i shift it to 1, i can feel better power, but that's not a safe way of doing it, so i guess the hold button is the best way. Never shove it into neutral, rev it up and shift it into D. My friend did that to his Supra, result = broke his tranny.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
IAT Mode, Tranny Cooler, rebuilt Tranny with Leve 10 TC. and a shift kit, why not?? level 10 has many things you can use if you want to keep the Auto.

there is a guy with a SC on an Auto on PT.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO change to MTX

If you are serious about performance, then get an MTX. With an ATX no matter what you will do, it will be much slower. ATX is great for traffic jams and everyday city driving, since you dont have to worry about changing gears. It is meant for the person who chooses convienience over control and performance.

There is nothing wrong with that! but i just dont see the point of tryng to make an ATX car into something it is not.

On a side note, Ive never driven an MTX before i got my MX6 this past november. I decided on an MTX partly because i wanted to be able to leave people at the line. Im not gonna make excuses, that was the main reason. The other reason was that ATX's tend to give out, and i was getting an older car.

Anyhow, i drove the car to work in traffic, about 80km (not sure about miles.. 50?) back and forth the monday after the weekend i got it. Sure, i stalled it 3 times, but i got there and back, and I learned really quickly. So if you want performance, take the time to learn MTX, you wont regret it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to be an ass T0wer, BUT I DIDNT ASK YOUR OPINION ON THE ATX NOR THE MTX...I just asked fellow ATX'ers how they launch.

I chose the ATX because it was the only MX6 around and i really wanted this car. I would have gotten MTX, but where i live, MX6's are RARE!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wow someone has been mislead. You say that an ATX is is only for day to day and traffic driving you are way off. I personally own an Atx and love it although if I purchased an Mx-6 again I would look for a MTX.

I have personally heard of people with ATX transmision cars kill MTX cars of the exact same model. I admit the stock ATX tranny is very weak and does brake after a certain milage. All you have to do is get a torque converter that is strong and reliable. Go with LEVEL 10 ( company name) they make torque converters for our cars its pricey though around 1000-2000 dollars with everything dont quote me on the price. Once you get that you could be killing MTX 6's easily. On Probetalk there is a person who did just that with his ATX and guess what he kills or ties each mtx probe he races. The only way he would win is if the person in the MTX doesnt know how to shift correctly which is very common.

Once you upgrade your tranny you can put in the turbo. If you put a turbo in now your tranny will die fast because it is weak. Mine was already rebuilt once i bought it and I could imagine what would happen if you put on the turbo.

Next time please try to keep your false opinions to yourself if you havent done your research..

Thankx for the time :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
My friend's opinion here...

He told me this, but you'll KILL your car..only do it WHEN you are ready...in fact, I have never done them and I only will once I know I will get my enginbe swap and my tranny is going to rebuild.

I guess once you're on the line, shift down to 1st, press the gas AND the brake...rev it up as much as you want, but more rpm, it is going to hurt. The just let go and shift to 2nd and D
I never even want to try this...unless I am ready to do some damage on my car, which is never:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ATX vs MTX

I'm not sure if it holds true with MX-6's, but the auto is prefered by most racers with very high power : weight ratio cars. Talk to anyone in NHRA events.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
question

So it will damage the transmission if I put my ATX in 1st gear at the line, start moving and then when its close to redline switch it into 2nd until near redline, and then switch it to Drive?

Or is it just when you are revving at the line with the brake on?

Just wondering cause I was thinking that manually setting the gear I want and forcing it to stay in that gear would give me better control over the shifting, but if its damaging my sweet 6 then I don't want to do it, hehe.

·
Registered
925 Posts
This is what I usually do.. put it on hold hold it in first redline it switch to 2... 3 .. near redline.. then once on 3rd swith to drive by turning of the hold button... It is allot faster then just starting in drive...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
darn

I don't think I have a Hold button. Mine's a '96, or do I?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
personally i just drive the car u know just hit the pedal and hold on unfortunately we can optimize the power of the car due to the governor so go easy with your car!!!!!!!!

})

1 - 17 of 17 Posts