Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i have recently recieved my 2004 m62 clutched eaton supercharger in the post:smokin:

now i just have the problem of working out how to get a drive feed to it i would like to situate it where the battery is on my mx6 as i would like to keep my aircon.

im just looking for ideas on how to get a drive feed to it from the other side of the engine bay??

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
You need a transfer shaft which is essentially a metal rod with bearings on either end. This will allow you to transfer the power from the passenger side of the engine where the belts are located to where you plan to put your supercharger. I've seen it done on an MX6 before, but I have no clue where you would get one.

They do need to be precisely machined and balanced as they spin at very high speeds.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I've seen what Malicious suggested as well.. back at my FIRST meet way way back about 4.5 years ago someone had one and I was so impressed.

Now I realize there are different / easier / better routes to go even for a SC setup.

I would recommend you do some research about mounting next time before buying an expensive item you don't know how to install.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes

i have made my intake pipe complete with bov installed

i have relocated the battery to the boot, and i have also got mywalbro 255ltr pump and fuel pressure regulator installed currently 12:1 ratio untill i have learnt about megasquirt. ;{
i have also corrected the fan shroud to allow for the transfer shaft.

i think i may have confused my question, i was looking to see if any one knows how or where i can get a shaft or make one?

any link will be great

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
yeh but the supercharger can stop boosting immediately rather than a turbo spinning at several hundred thousand rpm. bov on a super?........would be like VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM *puff* VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM *puff*

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it is for sound rather than anything else, i heard an eaton m62 with one and after that i decided i would like the same or similar noise.

actuall after i posted the bit about a BOV i knew the flames would come thick and fast lol :flamer: :cry: .

anyway dose anyone know where i can get a transfer shaft? or any details on how to make one?

i did contact someone called adlorin but he wanted $950 for the shaft alone :eek: when the kit was only $1300

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
your best bet may be to find a local machine shop and show them exactly what you need and they might be able to fabricate something like that for less than the grand that adlorin wants. could possibly even bring in the pics of adlorin's shaft to show them how its made.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
91turbo666 said:
yeh but the supercharger can stop boosting immediately rather than a turbo spinning at several hundred thousand rpm. bov on a super?........would be like VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM *puff* VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM *puff*

unless ur rpm's drop to idle immediately after u lift off there's no way a sc can stop making boost. it's engine driven and as long as ur above idle u'll be on boost. and it's more like, VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM *PSSSSSHHHH* VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM *PSSSSSHHHH* and when u lift off it's a constant dump until ur off boost.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If you disengaged it every time you let off the gas, I would think that would put unnecessary wear on the clutch mechanism and cause it to fail sooner.

Plus of course, our ECU won't be disengaging it since it doesn't control it.

Side note, I've seen these neat little thing that hook up to your clutch pedal which will make the BOV sound. You should just buy one of those instead since that's all you care about. Otherwise you're gonna rush to the sound and kill your engine by not taking the proper precautions.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
If you disengaged it every time you let off the gas, I would think that would put unnecessary wear on the clutch mechanism and cause it to fail sooner.
actually something like the SC'ed mr2s had a system where there would have to be a change in pressure for at least 5 seconds before the clutch disengaged, so that it would prevent excessive wear on the clutch. rather smart for 1986

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:

Plus of course, our ECU won't be disengaging it since it doesn't control it.

Side note, I've seen these neat little thing that hook up to your clutch pedal which will make the BOV sound. You should just buy one of those instead since that's all you care about. Otherwise you're gonna rush to the sound and kill your engine by not taking the proper precautions.
hey i just wanted the sound when i first started my turbo project then the parts started coming in and i started researching and researching and now ... must... goooo ... faster ... but i cant cause i cant afford another speeding ticket... ah lifes little delima's :p

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
91turbo666 said:
actually something like the SC'ed mr2s had a system where there would have to be a change in pressure for at least 5 seconds before the clutch disengaged, so that it would prevent excessive wear on the clutch. rather smart for 1986
Then it doesn't shut off between shifts as someone had suggested... unless you shift REALLY SLOOOOOWWWWW.....
prob3r said:
hey i just wanted the sound when i first started my turbo project then the parts started coming in and i started researching and researching and now ... must... goooo ... faster ... but i cant cause i cant afford another speeding ticket... ah lifes little delima's :p
Just like I tell my mom.... "I realize there's a speed limit, but I get there REALLY fast" :muhaha:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
Then it doesn't shut off between shifts as someone had suggested... unless you shift REALLY SLOOOOOWWWWW.....
yes that is in fact what i said.....unless this clears up what i mean

91turbo666 said:
actually something like the SC'ed mr2s had a system where there would have to be a change in pressure for at least 5 seconds before the clutch on the supercharger disengaged, so that it would prevent excessive wear on the clutch on the supercharger. rather smart for 1986

1 - 16 of 16 Posts