Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First you need to understand that a throttle position sensor SST is used to check voltage at the various terminals of the sensor itself. The OE Mazda SST looks like this:

And to my knowledge isn't available for sale to the public, or costs an arm and a leg if it is. Luckily MSGT-R has an OG SST!

So how to make one you ask? Easy, go to the junkyard and pull an extra harness from any 2.2 MX6 or Probe. It looks like this:

Make sure to leave yourself as much wiring as possible ^^^^

The harness has three wires on each side. Red, black, and white comes from the TPS sensor itself. The engine harness side has three green wires, green/red, green/yellow, green/white. Green/red stays with red, green/yellow goes with black, green/white goes to white but ends up being the blue wire.

Things you'll need:
Wire cutters
18 guage red, black, blue wire
3 female ends
A soldering irons and solder
Electrical tape.

Start by trimming all of the ends:

Unplug the harness from each other and turn wires towards each other. Red stays with green/red, black stays with green/yellow, white to green/white becomes a blue wire:

Solder each keeping in mind that the red, black and white wires from the TPS are thin wire and subject to breaking rather easily.

Make sure you secure the wires before finalizing. I bent the green wire from the harness rather than from the TPS sensor. The TPS senor wires are very brittle and fracture easily like I said previously.

Do the same with all three wires and finalize with electrical tape. Red to red/green, black to yellow/green, white to green/white and connect to blue.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now how do you use this damn thing? Glad you asked!

Connect the sensor harness and turn the key to on, measure voltage at red, black and blue with the throttle plates closed. Write these numbers down and cross reference with the set values for each number you're givin for red vs blue. Do the same with the throttle plates open and adjust accordingly by the two 8mm nuts on the TPS sensor. This procedure is hardly difficult but does leave plenty of room for error if done incorrectly.

Here are the shop manual scan:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.