Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I finally got around to ordering some foglights and when I was studying the bumper on how to install it, I saw that the last guy who did a Maaco paintjob on my car had sprayed the radiator red:tdown:. At that point I decided to make a grill to cover up the paintjob and accent my front bumper. I know a lot of other guys have done this but there wasn't a write-up yet so I thought I’ll do one.

DISCLAIMER: I CUT PART OF MY BUMPER TO INSTALL MY GRILL SO IF YOU DO THE SAME, YOUR DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS IS JUST A WRITE-UP ON HOW I CUSTOM INSTALL A GRILL ON MY CAR, NOTHING MORE. FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

With that said, lets continue

Materials:

6”x 25’ Roll of Expanded Metal $9.95
Box of Wood screws (4 x 1/2 /M2.9 x 12.7) $2.50
^ found at Home Depot or local hardware store

Glue gun $.99 (no joke)
Adhesion Promoter $5.25
Vinyl Paint $5.25
Stainless Steel Scissors $3.00
Wood File $7.00
220 Grit Sandpaper $3.00

Total cost: around $15 if you have stuff lying around

Instructions:

First you want to cut out the mesh to the correct length. For my car I first cut a 6”x30” section. I eventually trimmed it down to like 5”x28” but I would still recommend you to cut a 6”x30” section and trim it to fit your bumper.

Now you want to pain your screws to match the color of the paint. Since they’re going to be in the shade all the time, exact match isn’t important, just get something that matches 80-90%. I found that most paint does not stick on metal screws so I first coated it with a layer of adhesion promoter. Wait 15 minutes for it to dry and then spray the screw with your choice of color to match. If your lazy or don't want to buy two cans of spraypaint, just go find an engine enamel color that matches.

While your waiting for your screws to dry, cut tabs into the mesh you will use as your grill. I preferred to cut four ½” x ½” equally spaced tabs on the bottom of the mesh. You will bend these underneath the bumper so you can attach screws to them.
tabs circled below:

Now here comes the risky part. You will need to saw off your vertical bumper supports.
Unlike me, you can use a razor blade for less hassle!
I used a small hacksaw to get the job done. When that is done, file and sand the bottom part until the back end is completely flush. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IF YOU DON’T SAND THE REMNENTS OF YOUR CUT FLAT THE MESH WON’T FIT PROPERLY AND LOOK LIKE CRAP (Trust me, I found out the hard way).

Next check if your screws are dry. If the paint on them is dry, thread the screws from the bottom of the mesh UP through the bumper. Yes I know this will leave the pointy screw part in plain sight but don’t worry, this step is just to get the screw holes where you want it. After you have secured all four screws and the mesh is attached just as you like it, REMOVE the screws and detach the mesh. You should now have four holes in your bumper on where to screw in the mesh.

Finally, REATTACH the mesh this time threading the screws in from the top DOWN. After all four screws are secure and the mesh is placed just as you like it, break out the hot glue gun. As you can see from the picture, I was pretty liberal with it. Just coat all the screws and tabs with hot glue and you should be fine. Hot glue also does wonders in keeping all the mesh flat against the bumper. Be warned though, the hot glue does tend to run down a lot.

Step back and admire the latest DIY addition to your 13 year old car. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

Approximate project time: 1 ½ hours

Before:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Nice write-up; I've always wanted to do mine, but didn't want to have screw up job like I've seen with some people's, so this walkthrough is perfect for me! Karma'd for sure :D

By the way, regular paint u would use on metal (such as high heat -- although obviously high heat is not at all needed here) works perfect on screws.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the comments guys, shark and king, i edited your feedback into the HowTo if thats okay with you

sry shwaykid, i still can't get a pic w/o fuzziness because of the cloudless glare, will try later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts