Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to make my exhaust LOUDER!! or not so quiet...

So here's my quandry. I recently shelled out mucho dinero for a new Bosal catback exhaust system to replace the old stock system that was basically disintegrating. The new system works great, and obviously the performance is improved, but there's still one problem; the sound. Or should I say, the lack thereof? Before I installed my CAI, you could barely tell the car was running from the inside. I suppose a super-quiet exaust would be considered a good thing by a normal person, but of course we ain't quite normal... })
So I would like to give my car a more aggressive sound, but I'm not too keen on getting a new muffler to replace the perfectly good, very expensive one I just put on. I wouldn't be averse to getting a resonated tip welded on, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
replace your Cat with a test pipe and put a cherry bomb on it :)

G

·
0 Posts
What Astro said, plus get a set of headers. But the muffler is the main control of what dictates the sound. On my Z I have a high flow cat and glasspack for muffler thru 2.5" pipes and you can hear it idle while inside the house. Now when I open it up, watch out! Point being, a more open muffler and larger pipes will drastically increase sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
4 cyl. dont sound that loud on the MX6's, my fiend has one with a muffler and at 4500-5000rpm his is as loud as mine, while im at idle, again because of a spark plug problem mine idles at 1500-2000rpm, but you know what i mean

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
run a straight pipe from the header all the back with no muffler. of get a straight through muffler with no cat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
superflymx6 said:
run a straight pipe from the header all the back with no muffler. of get a straight through muffler with no cat.
Thanks for your feedback guys, but perhaps my subject line was somewhat misleading. I don't really want the exhaust to be LOUD!!!, just a little more aggresive. My point was I didn't want to get rid of my new muffler. The damn thing put me in debt for a month and it just seems like a waste to cut it off and put another one on. And they do get pretty touchy about taking off your emissions control equipment in my area, and passing inspection is not an optional thing.
The Random Tech cat seems like a way to go though. Two questions: How much will one set me back?
And isn't it true that you're not allowed to replace your cat with a new one unless the old one has gone bad? I guess I'd just have to find a sympathetic mechanic.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That is true around my town that if the cat. is working right then they cant take it off they, should be able to replace it though. i mean you will have a cat. on the car and it will not be gutted.

why dont you just get a bigger pipe and put a stright through muffler on it. that willget what youwant, ask the people with the I4 on PT if you know any of them what they have to make it sound like what you want. i have a v6 so anything you do to it will sound GREAT.

G

·
0 Posts
I have an 4 cyl and I upgraded all of my piping to "2.5. The resinator under the car is for a v8. Do that and you will definitely enjoy the sound

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
unbolt it at the collector!!!!!!! thatll make it loud...LOL

jarulez9 said:
4 cyl. dont sound that loud on the MX6's
not always true... it depends on the muffler and piping... mine is loud as hell....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts