Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a lot of research and experience with messing with distributers and I figured I should make some documentation to help others out by locating it all in spot with easy instructions.

For Adding a External Igniter Module

For Adding a External Igniter Module and External Coil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you very much !! I used the first diagram and and have a few questions. newbie questions, Im sorry lol !! it a 94 no start/run issue.

test pin 3 and pass. But leads me to a question on the HEI&coil diagrams (later)
test pin 5 and pass.
test pin 6 and fail. replace CPS and re test pass but STILL no start/run
Test pin 1 and fail.
Primary Ohms were 9.0 pass.
Secondary Ohms were 29.4k fail.

Going to check ECM grounds and replace ECM but the secondary ohms still scare me. Are there any grounds "known" to cause a issue I should look at before I find a ebay ECM ??

Ok now for the 3rd HEI and 5th HEI/coil diagram questions..

just HEI diagram 3 .. It says pin 1 is first test for ECU relay,it should get hot with key on yet that was pin 3 in first test in first diagram. Is it a typo or does adding the HEI change it ?? why is 1 now tested for relay and 3 for ECM grounds in this diagram ??

HEI and coil diagram 5.. using my all oem car as an example. same #3 pin that gets "hot" to pass first test in first diagram (mine does) runs to HEI and to NEG of coil ... ???... and the #1 wire my car fails for lacking flashing ground gets hooked to HEI and POS of coil ??

I want to do the HEI and coil mod but hooking up a hot wire to a neg dont sound right,so I MUST be missing something lol THANK YOU For all the great info !!

·
Fast but Safe (say WHAT?)
365 Posts
Thank you very much !! I used the first diagram and and have a few questions. newbie questions, Im sorry lol !! it a 94 no start/run issue.

test pin 3 and pass. But leads me to a question on the HEI&coil diagrams (later)

test pin 5 and pass.

test pin 6 and fail. replace CPS and re test pass but STILL no start/run

Test pin 1 and fail.

Primary Ohms were 9.0 pass.

Secondary Ohms were 29.4k fail.

Going to check ECM grounds and replace ECM but the secondary ohms still scare me. Are there any grounds "known" to cause a issue I should look at before I find a ebay ECM ??

Ok now for the 3rd HEI and 5th HEI/coil diagram questions..

just HEI diagram 3 .. It says pin 1 is first test for ECU relay,it should get hot with key on yet that was pin 3 in first test in first diagram. Is it a typo or does adding the HEI change it ?? why is 1 now tested for relay and 3 for ECM grounds in this diagram ??

HEI and coil diagram 5.. using my all oem car as an example. same #3 pin that gets "hot" to pass first test in first diagram (mine does) runs to HEI and to NEG of coil ... ???... and the #1 wire my car fails for lacking flashing ground gets hooked to HEI and POS of coil ??

I want to do the HEI and coil mod but hooking up a hot wire to a neg dont sound right,so I MUST be missing something lol THANK YOU For all the great info !!

I see what you mean. I think King accidently used the 95+ diagnosis for the HEI only diagram for 93-94 diagnosis. If you look diagrams 2 3 and 4 have the same diagnosis. 3 is a typo and should follow diagram 1 diagnosis. The diagram for HEI and coil needs to be redone as well. I'm sure as soon a KING6 sees this comment he'll have it changed an the info for the correct diagrams posted.

Sent from BLACK BETTY

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nice ! Thanks for taking the time to put this together , Very Very handy .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts