Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....I've never done it on the MX6, also, the only times that I've done clutches, have always been at shops with lifts and tools and everything needed to do the job painless and effortlessly. But how about the weekend mechanic, with good craftsmen tools, a couple of jackstands, and a jack.....what are some pointers/do's/dont's/tools needed/time needed/friends needed/beers needed.....basically all the stuff needed BEFORE your 500 mile break-in is needed. Experience with OE clutches, aftermarket clutches, whole kits-vs- just the parts needed ie:disk. What can you get away with changing if you are low on budget?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you just want to replace the clutch with an OEM one then you won't have to spend more than $100. I bought a complete kit from clutchcityonline.com and paid about $100. It was a OEM clutch just like the one I took out. Put it in and have had no problems. I had the tools you describe. Two jacks, two jack stands, and tools. The hardest part was balancing the tranny on the floor jack while I lowered it to the floor. I left the driver's drive axle in the tranny because I could not get it out. Suspect bad circlip. As some on here have recommended, it helps to tie the tranny to the jack or support it from above with a rope - anything to keep it from falling off and hurting fingers and toes. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just done a clutch change in my 6....search in teh Australian Forum for all teh tools, tips and tricks.

also dont forget we are right hand drive so swap the side around when reading it.

read them all cause i didnt have to do teh same as the guy before me had too. he did too many steps!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Jack up the car, unbolt the tranny, lower it. When I took out my tranny there was a gear a "spider gear" on the inside. It fell down out of view into the trannsmission. The first time I did not notice it, It is a gear that both axles come together at. What you need to do, is make sure this gear is tight. If it is sloppy like mine was, it may fall. To preven this; take one axle out and through the access hole the axle came out from, hold that middle "spider" gear in place and have someone pull the other axle out. I am one of the few people that had this problem. However, by that gear falling into the tranny, it was'nt in the right place and the axles went in the tranny but not in the gear. When we got everything back together, started it up, let out the clutch. Bang...Housing shattered. Centrifical force of that gear spun and came out of place, shattering the tranny casings. We realized what had happeded when we pulled that tranny out and inspected a 2nd one. The second time we used a metal coat hanger right through the axle shaft holes to hold the gear in place. If all goes well, have at least one helper. Maybe about 6 hours or so. It should work out fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts