Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1,5m (~5ft) of EL (neon) wire. That's a bit more than needed for the gauges.

At first I glued it on as it was, with the purple (eww!) colored sleeve and all. There's a crease around the gauge holes on the backside of the faceplate where the wire will fit perfectly. It'll leave nice 1-2mm crack for the light to shine through.

But it looked dim and I didn't like the purple color so I stripped the colored sleeve off the wire.

As the wire was now thinner there was no crack between gauges and faceplate anymore so I took a sharp knife and shaved the ridge off. Then glued the stripped wire on its place. I should have left longer strip of EL wire to where it meets power wire. Then it would've been easier to fold around fuel gauge corner.

Test

And there's the inverter

Finished

That's it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey thanks for the pics! I've got a few questions left...Are the red lights Leds or bulb with a rubber cap on it? Also, did you remove the green film that is on the back of the gauges? Finally, what is the source of the power that goes to your EL wire, is it coming on when you put the keys in the car or only when you open the lights?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are regular red bulbs painted, no rubber caps.
Gauges are not modified because that green film is not painted on the back of these stupid e-spec gauges but as bottom layer on the front.
Currently EL wire is hooked to back of the cig lighter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
great write up, can you point us in the direction of some online el wire purchasing, i assume the inverter came with it?

what kind of paint did you use for the bulbs.?

def going to happen to my car ... soon

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bulbs were already painted. But I'm sure rubber caps will give the same result.
Unfurtunately I don't know any good online EL wire suppliers because I found mine in some random nick-nack shop. But there are lots of sellers on eBay.
6.50$ for 7.5 ft is heck of alot better deal than I got.

Nice pictures but you forgot to include a finished picture.
Fair enough. Finished pics added:)

·
Registered
939 Posts
does it include the inverter? any good liknks from ebay>

·
Registered
113 Posts
you think it would be possible to do this but in our headlights? just an idea so you'll have the stock headlights but with the aftermarket look :/ idk just throwing it out there

·
Registered
954 Posts
you think it would be possible to do this but in our headlights? just an idea so you'll have the stock headlights but with the aftermarket look :/ idk just throwing it out there
It might be hard to see since the stock aspecs have the textured lenses. Besides i think they have universal halo rings that do a similar job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts