Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend at work is leasing a new Chevy Tahoe. She's had it for less than a year and had her side view mirrors stolen twice. They are the heated ones with the blinkers, so they cost about 400 at the dealer.
She's fed up, her deductable is $500, so it's out of pocket. When it just happened yesterday, she put in the cheaper mirrors, without the defrost/turn signal, which run $100. Still, it's a pain in the ass, it's dangerous, and a waste of time.
The mechanic told her that she can head to this place in the Bronx (NY) where they can rig razor blades behind the mirror, between the casing, so that if anyone tries to pry it out they will cut their fingers up. I say it's a great idea, because I hope this guys fingers get cut off, but if he's using a screwdriver he can still get away with it.
She asked me for some suggestions. Anyone got any?

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
50 Posts
If she's just leasing the car there's not much she can do.

Otherwise, I say get a better alarm that is more sensitive.
The alarm that we have on our RX7 is so sensitive that it'll go off if the wind blows too hard!

Reactions: zythum24

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naah, she hasn't pissed someone off. Where we work, there are a lot of illegal garage shops. It happens to a lot of co-workers.
When she got to her car on Friday the alarm was triggered, but I'm sure they removed it within seconds.
She can't take a bus because she drops her son of and picks him up from school every day. Not to mention that it would probably take her over an hour instead of the 15 minute drive.

evo626 said:
If he gets cut up he can sue, this sort of mod is not legal to do. The best bet would be to do some sort of reverse enginnering and make it so the bolts can only be removed from inside the car.
evo
Have you seen this done or know of anyone who has tried this?

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
zythum24 said:
Where we work, there are a lot of illegal garage shops. It happens to a lot of co-workers.
When she got to her car on Friday the alarm was triggered, but I'm sure they removed it within seconds.
Take it up with your place of employment. They should be able to provide a safe place to park your vehicle. I'm sure they have insurance for that type of thing.

Edit: On a side note, this happened to one of my mirrors once, IN MY DRIVEWAY! It was my mom who took the mirror off with her own car. She just backed right into the mirror and tore it off.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It the City of New York, Department of Education! :lol:
They won't even give us the perimeter, like schools in Manhattan.
But thanks for the laugh! :lol:

:(

·
Registered
128 Posts
are they taking the whole thing or just the inside of the mirror? if they are just taking the inside patr of the mirror they do install some type of guard to stop people for stealing it . they revit (becuase its harder to remove than screws)a metal guard around the mirror so even if they tried to take it it would be almost imposible to take the guards off. hit me back i can tell u a place in the bronx u can go to get it done.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes please do. I think they are removing the mirror and leaving the actual outer case, otherwise I don't think her machanic would ave recommended the razor blades.
What's the info on that place?

Thanks...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish it were that easy Matt. The school is situated in a low income residential area. The only cameras around might belong to bangbus.

Thanks 94!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not just a stock mirror. It's the one with the side blinkers as well as the defrost function. As I said before, dealers sell them for $400. I am sure there is a demand on the street at a cheaper rate, where this guy comes in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A guy could be trespassing on your property and trip and hurt himself and sue. Sick times huh? I'm sure its an American thing though.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Get some kind of clear adhesive that always stays tacky and apply it to the mirrors (I did a quick search on Google, but didn't come up with anything)

He'll remember what he stole for a long time. ;)

Either that or just buy some from a scrap yard that are so fucked up that he won't want them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts