Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock car and I wanna know if the turbo is working. I bought it 2 months ago. every once in a while, I'll notice a good boost @ 3200-3500. But NOT USUALLY. I wanna make sure my turbo is good/hooked up right/etc. If it's bad, I'll just find a T-bird turbo (that bolts right on, correct?)

Comments, suggestions, ridicule. All welcome.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When people refer to the T-Bird turbo, they are refering to the stock's turbo's upgrade. The old turbo Ford Thunderbirds (VJ17)have IHI turbos, as do the 626/Mx6 GTs (VJ11). The T-Bird turbo's internals are used in the the stock turbo of the Mazdas for an upgrade. However it isn't a simple swap, it requires machining of the stock turbo housings to work.

So when you decide to do the upgrade, you have to send in your turbo. Another upgrade for the stock turbo is the Ferrari F-40 turbo internals.

As to if your turbo working--Only thing I can think of is check all of your intercooler piping, and make sure the throttle body boot is not cracked (common). Once you get the boost guage, it'll be easier to see it that is your problem (turbo working or not).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts