Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a post that will hopefully give all the needed information to turbo a LX/DX Mx6/Probe.

You will need at least the following
Turbo w/turbo manifold off a GT
Downpipe
Turbo/Intercooler piping
Intercooler
Some way of controlling/adding additional fuel
Boost gauge
Air/Fuel gauge

This is the bare minimum needed to run 7.3 psi on the stock internals.

I also recommend upgrading to the GT transmission as it is much stronger, and is more capable of handling the added power

It would be worthwhile to rebuild the turbo, can save you money in the long run, and overall will make the turbo reliable for quite awile

I also believe you should use 1 step colder plugs (miata plugs should work) gapped between 0.9 - 1.1 mm, along with retarding your timing a couple of degrees. Just for safety I would also suggest using a higher octane fuel, even though the lx/dx ecu is not mapped for it.

You will need to get more fuel into your motor, you have a couple of options.
12:1 fmu, along with a 1980's volvo, bosch inline fuel pump (capable of the pressures needed)
5th injector in conjunction with a hobbs pressure switch
The megasquirt DIY standalone fuel computer, with larger injectors
Or complete standalone engine management, with larger injectors

I would also suggest looking into something like the msd boost timing master to control your timing under boost. And upgrade to the 8202 coil

You will need to tap into an oil line, your local supply store should have brass fittings that will allow you to "T" into your oil pressure sending unit, as for oil return you will need to tap your oil pan.

For coolant, there is a line that is attached to a fitting just behind the thermostat housing. Cut that line, run it to the turbo coolant in. run the turbo coolant out back to that line and your turbo will have coolant.

If you want to use the GT oil cooler, you will need that, and the oil filter stem, it will just unscrew from the block. For coolant to the oil cooler, tap into the throttle body coolant lines.

I also think it is worthwhile to upgrade to the GT radiator, it is a 2 core rad, vs the lx/dx single core, you will need that adding cooling.

If you are going to rely on an A/F gauge I would recommend getting a wideband O2 sensor (AEM Uego or similar)
It may also be worthwhile to get an EGT gauge and learn how to read it.

I would also recommend a turbo timer, to allow your turbo to cool off properly.

If you run a Blow Off Valve, then you will run rich at idle, causing your car to idle like crap, stick with a Bypass valve, or go fast bits makes a hybrid BOV/BPV if you need the sound.

On the compressor housing of the turbo is a little fitting, attach a vacuum hose to that, and then to the wastegate. You will not need a boost controller, and this will ensure your wastegate opens at 7.3 psi

If you decide to go past 7.3 psi, you can damage your engine, you may be able to go higher, as long as you have enough fuel, but eventually the engine will give.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Could someone maybe move this to the FI forum, or performance forum, and make it sticky?

Also can we try and keep this thread towards actually doing this, not "go buy a gt" or "swap in the gt motor"

I will try to answer any questions anyone has about this in here, and eventually will post my dyno sheets when I have completed my car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whole electrical harness, the sensors off the firewall, the distributer, the turbo/intercooler assembly and the ECU.If I get these parts will i still have to do everything you said?

·
Registered
288 Posts
As for running oil lines, I was looking for where they were located on the gt and on the n/a block i found two pluged holes in the block. There is one directly above the oil filter and is plugged with something like a grub screw, i tested it with an allen wrench and it fit perfectly. would this be where the stock oil line for the turbo comes from? Then there is another one on the front side of the block, i found a picture of a gt with a hose going there but i wasn't sure what it was. http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f10de97_4cb9/bc/433c/__sr_/2a9d.jpg?phC5rDBBwQSnjBvn
The hole is threaded and it is between the heat shield and the egr tube. in my picture the flash light is right on it and it kind of looks like a figure 8. Could this be the stock oil return? if these are the stock feed and return lines then the plugs could simply be unscrewed and used for the turbo conversion. Maybe.

Ace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts