Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy the other day who said that his coil had "gone bad". I asked him what he meant and what kind of symptoms, and all he said was that it "went bad" and he bought a new one. I have had mine for over a year now, and as far as I can tell , it is in no danger of "going bad". But if it does "go bad" hw do I know? Has anyone ever had one that has "gone bad". What did it do? Did it completely stop functioning? Did you notice a loss in performance or a bad idle? or did it just simple "go bad"? :lol:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
well one thing u can do is meassure resistance. measure your primary and secondarry circuits. and right them down. keep them for your records. and in the futur check it agian, if u ever thing it went bad. and messure resistance again, if there was alot of difference, than it went bad.

i would try to find specs on what should the resistance be on the blaster 2, from MSD, not sure if this info could be found on the package that u bought. it would be a good idea to ask MSD them selves, if they have that kind of specs.

how could a coil go bad??

-well u could have the oil leak out of the coil. oil is used to cool down the cuircits of the coil, if oil leaked out, the windings in the coil could melt or heat up and brake.(thas for oil cooled coils ofcource)
- u could have a brake in one of the windings of the coil, that only spread out while the coil heats up, and the metal expands and the wires get farther apart, casuing the car to shut off when it warms off. comon problem.
- also a broken wire could casue the circuit to short, meaning to find a short to ground, which if u have that in your coil, u would have less ressistance than u should have according to specs.
- u could have more ressistance also, from a corroded connections in the coil, mostly in the primary circuit, meaning the + and - parts of the coil.

there are more problems that could go in a coil, i cant remember all of them right now. :)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
let me also add, when u have a short cuircit in the coil, your coil wont charge the primary cuircit enough, or it actually dose, but casue the circuit is shorter, it wont be enough to produce a good spark, making the car not able to burn all the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, wich might leave your cullinders to run wet, and car might start to back fire sometimes and detonate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts