Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just joined. From New Zealand. I have a limited edition 1996 Ford Telstar (is really a Mazda with a Ford badge) running the 2.5 V6 and close ratio 5 speed manual trans, beefed up suspension and bilsteins from factory. Hoping to pick up some tips on these engines etc and generally partake in some discussions. Have a couple of questions about the weird Mass airflow unit on these, KL02. Does anyone know if they are adjustable by turning the inlet cone ?? We had this one out when looking why the idle was rough and irregular and spun the cone a couple of times. Didn’t seem to make a difference but now it takes a while for idle to drop down to normal when at rest. She has 300,000 kms on her and don’t know what previous owners have done in past. Any magic ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't think any adjustments possible on that VAF. Don't think they can be cleaned and/or lubricated either. I messed around with mine like that and decided not good ideas. I have been having issues for a year now with loss of power as the rpms increase. I'm lucky to get 85 mph on the expressways. I have been through just about everything. Along the way, I discovered I had not had the TPS adjusted properly. I think I do now; did not use the fan method. I used a multi-meter. Have you discovered the idle adjust screw on the top right of the throttle body? Also, I was unable to do a legit timing adjustment because I am missing the Timing Valve cover with the indicators, but I did end up recently turning my distributor to the max advanced position I could make (I have a '93, so, our distributors are probably different). This causes it to idle a bit faster, but it starts quicker, does not ping, and seems to give me a bit of extra power, while not solving my real issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Valentiner, thanks for your reply. I believe we have the same KL-DE engine. Are you running an original air filter ? I bought this as a project car for my son and I. They only did 200 of its spec here in NZ as a celebration car for one of our race drivers who won the British touring car champs back in the 90’s. Most mechanics I’ve asked questions to here just say it’s too old (24 years, WTF ??) an and don’t want to know. I’ll have a look at the TPS. Yes idle screw hasn’t been touched and it returns back to it nicely. Any load on the engine at idle ( A/C or even the heater fan or lights) up the idle to just over 1000 rpm. With all that off, you can give it a tap on the gas and it will drop back to about 1000 then slowly reduce to 750rpm. Not sure if the second set of butterflies after the main throttle body have anything to do with it. Have you check them on yours ? Variable resonance induction system I think it’s called.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the K8-DE 1.8L V6 in the MX-3, but pretty much all the same. When I was fooling around with the A/C on a Subaru I had, I somehow decided the A/C had to have at least 1100 engine rpm's to do any cooling. People have talked about putting a small piece of paper in the VRIS actuators to test if they work (the paper will fall out at certain rpm's). There are a couple different recommended procedures to adjust the TPS, and one is known as the "fan" method. I think I tried that first, but don't think it worked right on my car. The other involves key on and the ECU interface grounded with paperclip, and measuring the signal wire voltage while manually opening the throttle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, just noticed you asked about my air filter. Coincidentally, I just started messing with my stock filter, just for a goof. I removed all the filter media, epoxied on carpenter cloth (wire, 1/2" squares, I think) to hold in replacement media, for which I used pieces of fiberglass insulation sandwiched between two small micro-fiber clothes from Harbor Freight; the cheapo ones. I think it is giving me at least 5 more mph top speed on the expressway. At first, I just though I must be going downhill more than I remembered for that stretch of road, but, on my return trip using same route, I was able to verify that my gains were real. Now, I found another old filter. Going to do the same epoxy of carpenter cloth on the intake side of filter, and eliminate the fiberglass insulation. Just going to use a couple of those micro-fiber clothes again; did I mention I sewed them into the carpenter cloth? Works out pretty well. For this one I will essentially bunch up each cloth to reduce their dimensions to fit in the filter, one on top of the other. Blowing through the fiberglass I "measured" a good amount of resistance, which I will be eliminating with the 2nd build. Have never tried using the "cold" air filter, K&N kind of thing; just never impressed enough with the looks of that kind of setup; don't know if they provide less resistance to airflow compared to stock or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts