Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally figured out how to wire my jdm mirrors. It took me a good while to figure this out, but I finally did. Here is a how to on how to do it.

1. Take the old aspec mirrors off. This pretty self explanatory. Just take the black triangle cover off the inside of the door and you will see some bolts. Take them off and it should fall out.

2. Install the jdm mirrors. Do the opposite of step one.

3. Take the door panels off. Once again, pretty self explanatory.

4. Ok, now comes the hard part. Or at least it was for me..haha but will not be for you.

A. Now assuming you have the wires coming out of the mirror down to the connector and from there to the switch, you should be able to follow these instructions fairly easily.

B. You will have to cut the connectors off of the wires coming out of both doors because they are different than the jdm one.

C. Peel back the black tape surrounding the ends and prep them for connecting to other wires.

D. You will need to cut the black tape from around the wires coming from the switch all the way back to where the switch wires and the mirror wires connect.

E. Refer to this diagram to wire them up.

You will have to buy some 18gauge wire. You will need to cut 4 pieces of wire about 5 feet long. then you will have to tape all four up real good with electric tape. Then you will have to run the 4 wires through the back, bottom of your dash and then through each door and have them come out the hole that the other wires are coming out of. Now you will have to connect one of each of the wires to the Y/B, BR/Y, LG/Y, LG/R on each end of the car. This will connect the four wires to each other. That is what makes it work.

The brown, black, blue/black wires need to be connected together. There will be 4 black wires on the ds that will all need to go together.

The brown/black and lightgreen/black wires coming out of the door on each side need to be cut off and not used at all. Once you have all of them connected, try it out and make sure they work, electrical tape it all up and tada! you have working JDM folding mirrors!!

I will post some pics if the diagram isnt enough, but pics are hard to tell with little bitty wires hanging everywhere.

Karma would be appreciated since several of you have pm'd me in recent weeks asking for directions on hooking these babies up.

Ok, jestermx6 gave me a few diagrams for the mirrors that he made and someone else gave him. They are slightly different than mine, but nonetheless work just as well. There is also a diagram for the switch that is located on the dash just in case you dont have the combo door switch like mine.

Heather

·
Banned
353 Posts
dang it! heather our cars are going to look alot alike when they are finished. i am doing the JDM climate control too tho and the wiring on that beast is no joke. Also, getting my fogs wired properly to make them move with steering is going to be tough.

so did you figure a way to get the mirrors angled properly?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You can't adjust or angle the mirrors properly, remember, it's meant for right hand drive. The only way that you can see it is if you move your entire body or fold the mirror a bit to see it.

Trust me, my cousin did the jdm mirrors on his Celica and it's a bitch to look using the side view mirror; you can't parallel park. But before changing lanes, you should look over your shoulders anyway :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
instead of taping the 4 wires together, you can twist them together real good. secure the 4 wires into the chuck of an electric drill, then hold the wires at the other end, run the drill till the wires are twisted around themselves. voila.

·
Registered
105 Posts
man, Heather!!! you beat me to it!!! i was going to write a How to for the power folding mirrors, but i forgot about it an never ended up doing it. as you can see. but i did it a differen't way. i cut the connector off the A-spec mirrors and connected that to the one in the door. then i just lined up the wires and twisted them together. undersand that? i have digrams and everything. they guy that sent me my mirrors had made a diagram it took me a couple of days to figure out how i was going to make it work. but realized that the wires in the door below the connector are the same in color as my j-spec wires on my mirrors. i don't know if you'll understand that. i would post some pics but i can't. are yours heated? i figured out that myn were and i was like sweet!! if you want some pics e-mail at [email protected]
-jestermx6-

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont have everything done yet so i cant see how bad they will be to look through...lol...but I guess that is the price you pay for having them...I'm just glad I got them hooked up.
Jester, I wish that there had been a how to before mine, I even pm'd a few people that said they had done it before, but no one had any kind of diagram. The only funny thing about mine is that when you move the mirror up, down, right, and left, for the LH side, the switch has to moved to the RH position. They are opposite of what they should be and I'm not real sure why, but I really dont care. I'm just glad to have figured it out.

My side skirts will be here tomorrow so I will be putting them on within the next few days and posting pics of those too.

Chucksection, are all the jdm fogs able to move with the steering or just some. I saw a set on ebay that said that, but I dont think mine has that ability. I dont really care. I'm just glad I have some to fit the jdm bumper. I cant wait to see your six finished. I almost bought that climate control setup on ebay, but I'm trying to get my big brake kit parts and I'm spending more than I should be to get this stuff done...haha...

Heather

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey heather. there not to bad to look at. you have to lean over to the right a little to see out the right side and and lean forward a little to see the left side of the car. acutally i think the actually get rid of the the blind spots, but thats me. anyway, your mirror movement up and down thing is weird. mine is normal, but you probably got a some wires wired togehter differnent to get the backward mirror movement affect. anyway it doenst matter. i tried emailing you from your PM you gave me um....like last month!!! lol. i just got it. i tried eamiling you my diagram but it didn't send. ill try later. if it doesn't work just email me and ill forward the pics to you so i know i have the right eamil address. ill also send yiou a pic with them on my car.
later -jestermx6-

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey alright!!! you got my pictures on there Heather!!! thats cool!!!! hope thats helps someone whose trying to figure out to wire those mirrors. if you need more help just email Heather or me and we'll try to explain the wiring better.
-jestermx6-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts