Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey man just thought id let you know i got your set of rims! haha my friend said he bought em from a guy and he sold em to me. haha. how wierd is that? nice lookin mx6 u got. i love the hood!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks great Mike!! I was just jumping around the forum and found this thread, hehehe. I should send my car out to you for a mold/paint rebirth. It might just rekindle the old flame between me and my car :).

·
Registered
202 Posts
^^ It looks like it has spiderweb graphics on the hood and roof. I really like the hood but will wait to see it when its done to comment on the fogs...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
holy crap dude.

:sweet:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Doesd look WS6 ish...Im just scolling I see the car and

Im like whooo hhoooo hooooo....holy shit.....I think my neighbors heard me..scik man just fuckin sick

·
Registered
100 Posts
holy [shizzle] im still waiting on newer pics too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok maybe it is just me, or maybe i'm missinformed, but how do you feel safe putting all that paint overtop of all the paint you had before? i mean, all the primer you had over the silver, then what looked like gold and clear over that, then what looked like more surfacer, then that silver/candy/clear. that is a lot, and i mean a lot of film build. not to sound like an a-hole, but man, i would be seriously scared of cracking/chipping. but other than that, very inspired to get my shitter in the shop for a long date with the same razor you used.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well, eventually, all cars get scratched/chipped or whatever. If I were putting 18 straight coats of wet paint on in a row and not letting the solvents escape in between coats, I MIGHT be concerned about it. However, the biggest problem with paint build-up is chipping off of edges from ill fitting parts. Therefore, we spent dozens (if not hundreds) getting everything to line up just so. Also, we are spraying base/clear and not the old laquer and enamels that were notorious for cracking. Also, when spraying the clear with the tint in it, you are dusting on thin dry coats to achieve your color and depth. The final two straight clear coats give it the gloss and allow for a final wet sand and buff (which is what I am doing now). Also, since I own the bodyshop, I am not overly concerned about having to eventually reshoot it and I don't plan on using it for a daily driver - maybe just every other day:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
mike, i don't want to get on your bad side, so i won't argue with you. all i'm saying is i can't see myself doing it that way. it is your car, your money, and your shop. run it the way you want. all that really matters to others is the way it looks in the end. and i an sure it will look great (at lest i hope). and by the way, i sent you the money for the parts tuesday. thanks.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
From what little I know, I understand that modern paint systems when properly applied can deal with some pretty darn high film thicknesses without problems.

I want one of those nifty tools that checks film thickness.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
You can't get the really "deep" look without the thickness. Some of those custom bikes and cars you see built on the discovery channel have in the neighborhood of 70 Coats of paint. I did a custom chopper for a guy and by the time it was done, I know I had about 30 coats on it. He drove the bike all last year and never had a problem (even with stone chipping) and it suprised me too. You have to decide what you want. You either want that incredible paint job (and take any chances that go along with it), or you want a daily driver. What I am doing to this car is not for everyone or to everyone's taste. I am building it the way I want for me (that is the purpose after all - it doesn't have to impress anyone EXCEPT ME). You would be surprised how many people building a car for themselves lose that perspective when building their own cars. I can't count the number of times I have started working on some part of it or fabbing a custom part for it and after about 20 or 30 hours of work decided that I didn't like the way it would look on the car. The guys at work think I am nuts, but I like to think I am particular....

81 - 100 of 292 Posts