Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem for years that comes and goes. Hunting idle. I'll be driving along and then it'll happen.. the engine will become unable to maintain a speed between 1500 and 3000 RPM, and will swing wildly from one extreme to the other. That means that I'm in, say, a parking lot in second gear at 2000 RPM, the car will suddenly lose power then lurch forward, trying to find a speed that it's happy with.

I took it to 2 dealers and another shop and had bad luck. Nobody could fix it. So I'm reluctant to take it anywhere else to have it looked at, but I know I need to. I've gotten used to using the clutch to smooth out the problem, but nobody else (read: wife) can drive the car because of this.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Any Check Engine light? Could be Throttle Position Sensor, I've also heard stories of low coolant levels causing idle/surging problems. Could also be a bad IAC valve (hopefully not, these things run like $200-$300 new... definitely a pick-n-pull item). Might try removing the valve & cleaning the piston with brake cleaner, maybe even your MAF sensor.

Maybe one of these will help...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
ummm.......look at the original post date on that one......

that has got to be a record

·
Registered
337 Posts
LOL... didn't even notice... hopefully he figured that one out...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
be careful when you're searching through threads to look at the last post date

1 - 7 of 7 Posts