Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....so I called the dealership and they told me that the "GOLD PLUS" warrenty that i paid $2500.00 for doesn't cover my Cataylic Converter. They told me it would cost up to $1400.00 Canadain to fix! WHAT THE HELL! Anyway, I really don't know what to do. It's not that it's SUPER loud or anything...actually, it's not bad at all however, it's annoying to know that I have a part on my car that is not working proporly! I wrote that Mazda Recycle place and hopefully they write back. I have to pay for School in January which I should just have enough for! Dammit! Anyway, if there is just debris in it, can't you just take it apart and clean it?? ( i'm a retard when it comes to parts like that......) Please help me. I'm just scared that if I don't get this fixed, something else will be effected. AND DON'T FORGET, I am still a little bit leary of this problem. This is the one where they had to tighten the heat shield a bunch of times! (it rattle when loose!). Please PLEASE help me out. Maybe i'll start an MX-6 Pot. Just a Donation of one dollar can make all the difference in a young MX-6's life!
(sorry, have to add some humor to a dumb sitution!!)
Stay Free..
ALex Snell

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Did you get that second opinion from a muffler shop like I recommended?

G

·
Ok here's the deal...your problem seems bogus to me and I'm probably not the only one. "Debris in the cat" sounds stupid and just like something a dealer would make up. LOOK INTO THE HEAT SHIELD! And also...and I cannot stress this enough, go to another shop to get a 2nd opinion. I cannot bear to see a fellow-mx6er get all his info from the dealer. Ask family members, check online, just find a good mechanic who knows that you are not to be bullshitted, and have him check it out for you. If, after all this, you still need to get a replacement for the cat, you can get aftermarket cat's for far less than the stock product. good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay Dammit!

Okay, I just got home from work and have emailed 2 of Winnipeg's MAZDA dealerships! I told them about how Birchwood honda's been screwin' with me, and how i wanted a second opinion. I also told them about this website and what you all think! I asked them for a price. HOWEVER, should i really take it to another dealership or take it somewhere else. I am GOING TO LOSE IT on those people at Birchwood. I have never been so mad it my entire life and it seems the only people who care are you! I should just demand that I get that "warrenty" money back seeing as how they are NOT going to be doing anything to help me! It's absolutely crazy and i am one person not to be F#cked with! It's not that I can't get the money to fix it....it's the whole me dishing out 2400 for the extra "protection" and have it NOT covering exaust! One of the most important parts of the damm car! Good thing Im not a Postal Worker, I'd take my shotgun and destroy Birchwood Honda! ( oh yeah....Birchwood honda is where i bought it....NOW DO YOU THINK THEY ARE F#UCKING WITH ME??????)
I'm PISSED......
Little Bastard,

·
Registered
48 Posts
look around

Even if you did have to replace the cat, it should not cost you as much as they are quoting. Look into a performance cat converter. Goto http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14801 and look at the selection on the jcwhitney website (the link brings you to one of the cat converter pages) I hope this helps. I hate it when dealers screw you over... I feel for ya man!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They Must Be Crazy, Not The Gods,

So I just checked out that website. THANKS SOOO MUCH. I don't get it however, the most expensive converter was this one:
*** High-capacity Catalytic Converter, Dual-in/ Dual-out ***
That was only $139.00 US, meanwhile the dealership said it would be $1400 to repair. Are they saying that it would cost an extra $1200.00 dollars to put in! THAT'S CRAZY. My friend had his Valves fixed for the same price and that included taking his whole engine apart!
When they first told me it was the Catalytic Converter, they said they wern't going to bother to fix it because it was too much! Now that I am saying I want to fix it, they now say it's $1400 when they first said 1000. I am beginning to think that it might just be the heat shield or something else easy, but, they just tell me that it's something CRAZY expensive and "not to worry about it" because they don't want to use the warrenty money to fix it! What do you think? I told my father and some of his clients are powerful business men.( Lawyers) He thinks it's rediculous! My uncle might know the owner of the dealership so hopefully something good comes out of this! ( I'm just glad that my stereo didn't get stolen and my engine didn't stop working when i brought it in for repairs like that other guys MX-6 did. OUCH, do I feel for him right now...)

Stay Free....
Thanks again, any comments would be awsome.
Little Bastard, ( James Dean's Nick Name by the way)
He used to race a 1955 Porsche Spyder 550. GOD, is that a nice car. I think the Miata is pretty close to the look and size of it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cat

Hey

Dean forget about Birchwood Honda go to Minute Muffler on Portage Ave. They have High flow cats there for around $125 installed! The dealers here will rip you a new asshole if you need repairs to your car. Like others have posted it best to get 2 or 3 people to look at the problem. Best of luck

P.S I don't own a Mazda MX-6 but have bought one for my girlfriend I own a MX-3 see my sig

·
Registered
48 Posts
cats

I have a feeling the stock cats that come with our cars are pretty high end. Meaning very good at removing pollutants from the exhaust, but also meaning they are very restrictive. You may get slightly higher emissions with a performance cat, but you'll get better flow and a mariginal gain in power... And of course their alot cheaper (a big plus) The guy above this post is right. Go to a muffler or exhaust shop and have them do tthe work. The only reason to have a dealer do work on any car is if it is under warranty. Other wise they'll "rip you a new one".

:)good luck :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The truth about cats on new cars are really not very restrictive at all! The muffler (Factory) is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system! The term "High Flow Cats" are not really changed internally (Guts) The diameter of the piping is bigger 2.5" in 2.5" out on them. Don't get fooled about the term "High Flow Cat". You can pay Big $$$$ for a brand name CAT or get a generic one and get the same results, and still have money left over to take your girlfriend out for a expensive dinner :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts