Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1993 LS with an automatic transmission. I just found the website yesterday, so last night as I was checking out some of the performance mods I saw that some of you were making homemade intakes. About a year ago I was having problems finding an intake for an automatic that was worth a shit. I wanted something that didn't just look better than stock, but was also functional. In other words, I didn't want one just to open up my hood and say I had one, I wanted something that would make a noticeable difference.

I got an old Honda Civic intake from a friend. Next I bought a tight looking cone filter that matched my car(blue). The only semi-hard part was finding the colored hose in a large diameter. If this is a problem for you, It is readily available at any big rig/18-wheeler parts supply house in black. Just ask for the radiator hose. They sell it in 4 foot sections for about $15. I just wanted the blue hose to match my car. All that was left was the hose clamps, and you can get those at any hardware store for cheap.

As you can see in the picture(s) I will attach, I have also integrated the air sensor valve into this setup since it does control the air to fuel mixture through the BCU.

All in all I think it turned out very well. It only involved about 1 hour of labor. I used a band saw to cut the different sections to length, but a hack saw would work just fine. Since the Civic intake already had the pressure fitting installed it made it really easy to adapt.

I just thought I would share the with the group since it is an easy modification and fairly cheap; depending on how cheap you find the Civic intake for. You should have no problem finding a used one for really cheap, I got mine for free just because it was just laying around. And it really made a noticeable difference in pickup.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. So, good luck. Later.

[Edit] Here's a link to a pic

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1508188&a=12824124&p=47947304&Sequence=0&res=high

[Edited by virtualpirrhana on 05-06-2001 at 03:30 AM]

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*bump* to make sure everyuone sees the pic

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not a CAI

Pirhanna....

That really isn't a cold-air-intake. A CAI runs underneath/behind the bumper and actually sucks in "cold air." Your system ends in the engine compartment where there is no cold air at all.

[Edited by n8davis on 05-06-2001 at 09:34 AM]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Its a nice job but its nota cold air intake you are gonna loose power cause u are getting hot air in that, I own a 93 mx6 v6 auto and i made mine to the bootom hats a cod air intake but that job was hard as hell i had to cut meta and move thinmgs around but now i ma getting the true cold air

·
Registered
140 Posts
a cai dosnt exactlly pull in cold air when your on a 175 degree track, the best way to do it is with a cowl in the hood, with a neetly placed aluminum air chanel, strait to the filter.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your input guys. At the time I did this mod I was only looking for a way to dress up my engine compartment. I was in the car stereo business and was the main competitor for my store at all of the local competions. Don't get me wrong, I did spend a little time thinking about the performance aspect. A very little. Ha ha. anyway. I am now pretty much out of the auto competion thing. It got boring to me. Now I am about to embark on the performance journey. I will be performing a new intake system along with everything else. I will keep you posted on my progress. This is a really great site with tons of info... thx again.......lata

1 - 7 of 7 Posts