Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been an MX-6 owner for quite some time now, and I just found out about this message board recently.

I have been amazed to see so many passionate MX-6 owners posting to the board, and I am encouraged to see ya'll posting here. I was almost convinced that MX-6 LS owners were few and far between.

So, I am getting kind of tired of seeing these little 4 banger hondas with mods pulling ahead of me on the highway, and I was wondering what kind of modification I could add to the 6 to give her the biggest gain possible, at the lowest cost. Also, should these civics be kicking the MX-6 on the road, or is it my driving that is the problem?

Keep in mind that I have NO experience working on my car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And you can tell I wasnt paying attention because I just posted to the wrong mods forum.

Sorry folks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
AlphaMX6, welcome to the board.

I'm no mechanic either but I know a thing or two about the MX6. First of all, the MX6 does not take bolt ons with ease. Meaning, if you add an intake an exhaust, you're not going to see conciderable HP gains like you would with Hondas/Acuras. It's tough to od an MX6 but not impossible. If you're looking for cheap add ons that will gie you power, there aren't any. Or if there are , they are wither expensive and DO give more HP or cheap and con't do anything. I would start with the basic bolt ons and work yourself up. Now, th esecond problem is that you have an ATX. If you line up 2 MX6's one ATX and one MTX, the MTX will beat it no matter what. Basically the only way an ATX can be faster than most other cars would be with bolt ons plus forced induction.

In my humble opinion...

·
Registered
475 Posts
No ricer 4 banger civic should be beating a V6 MX6 wether mtx or atx. Cold air intakes, exhausts, and computer work cant hurt the cars HP. But rarely do i see our 6's modded out to squeeze 200 hp. Thats near impossible. But you should be beating most civics. I am.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
allworldkj said:
No ricer 4 banger civic should be beating a V6 MX6 wether mtx or atx. Cold air intakes, exhausts, and computer work cant hurt the cars HP. But rarely do i see our 6's modded out to squeeze 200 hp. Thats near impossible. But you should be beating most civics. I am.
CAI, HFC, Headers, Cat. back exhaust, port and polish heads and intake manifold bore throttle body(65mm), spacers. get the tranny rebuilt with a Level 10 TC and a shift kit (this is right at 200HP)

or just drop in a KLZE 200hp( there is 200hp) right at the right foot. with those modes dont worry about Si's unless they are forced inducted( TC SC )

good luck later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your engine is in good shape then just drop a 60 shot of nitrous in there, that's prob the only way you'll get good cheap speed out of an ATX. If you use it sparingly it won't damage your engine any, and you'll destroy 85% of the Hondas out there. Plus it's pretty cheap as far as big hp gains go, prob around $800 at most with installation, though I don't know much about the procedure involved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im kinda tired of them too

they are good cars but i like the mx6 10 times better
i dont see anyreason y u shouldnt be blowing them away if u have a v6 in decent shape ive raced integras and civics and even volkswagon vr6's and left them in the dust with just few basic mods like air intake etc.. the only way they should be beating u is they have a turbo or nitrous kit ...thats what i think good luck racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

I appreciate the positive response! I guess I have a driving issue. I have read some comments on this board about how fragile the ATX tranny is on the 6, and so I am afraid to push it hard. I just had a rebuilt engine put in last year. I replaced the suspension, and brakes and the 6 now has new tires and rims.

So, I guess I will start out with a cold air intake. My only issue with that is I live in Seattle which is THE rainiest city in America. I was going to bypass the cold air intake all together until I picked up this months Sport Compact Car magazine and read about a new AEM air bypass. It is fairly cheap, and it will keep the water out of the engine if you hit a nasty puddle. They demonstrate the bypass by throwing an air intake into a fish tank LOL.

I will definatly be posting for help when I get ready to install the new intake.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah got a kick out of that article too....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I liked the AEM stickers on the aquarium. Why, it must have gained 10-20 horsepower (fishpower?) with that simple mod alone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree. I am extremely tired of Civics running around thinking they are the shit. A Civic is not a sports car, why try to turn it into one? A Civic is meant to be a family type car, economy based. Even the SI ONLY has 160 horsepower. Glad to see ya'll are tired of those damn things too. I used to drive a Civic, but I didn't rice it out, and I only had it for 4 monthes. My advice to Civic owners: GET A LUDE.

:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wow, preludes and mx6's coming together on something. Perfect harmony. Its funny the thing that brings us to agreement is the hatred of another car.
I for one, hope this lasts...
Down WITH RICERS!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Civics SUCK. SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wanted to clarify that. They are wonderful cars for old ladies, just not for performance. I just had to let some steam out about my hatred for "racing modified" civics. Oh yeah, AlphaMX6, if you want some speed get a bottle of laughing gas installed in your car......or start doing some MAJOR engine work......OR get a manual tranny swap. Just my 2 cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts