Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
There are actually quite a few posts about that here. I just had one myself a couple of days ago.

Do you have the check engine light coming on? Have you pulled the codes to see what faults are stored?

Check for a vacuum leak (the usual suspect)
Check the IAC (idle air control) valve / sensor (if clogged will cause this to happen)
Check the EGR (exhaust gas recovery) valve / sensor (same as above)

I think that about sums it up.

Others feel free to chime in, add more, contradict me...
James

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, the EGR is a real bitch to get to. We were able to remove the bolts from mine, but couldn't get it out to clean it... So we hooked it all back up as is.

For the next couple of days, I was blowing wet, black carbon wads out the tail pipe (I'm guessing from even handling the thing) and the "rolling idle" started. Mine very easily could be vacuum related though, too.

The Haynes manual says that the EGR being bad could cause "rough idle."

The IAC is more attributed to the "rolling idle" apparently, but can get clogged and gunked up inside with "blow-by" oil. There, is a post from the last couple of days by fr3d spelling out the hassles that he went through with the car idling this way before cleaning the IAC and fixing it.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted, because contrary to the post topic, this is very common.

Thanks!
James

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i had the same problem it was a vacuum leak! What i did to find it was get carb cleaner and while the car is running spray it all over your im then once the car evens out keep spraying till you find the spot that once you sray it he car evens out then that is where your leak is!

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
just be careful with the brake cleaner. lol.

brake cleaner + hot exhaust manifold = funky burning smell. :lol:

if it makes you feel any better ozmojo, my car is doing the EXACT same thing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine was solved this past weekend. I bought a length of vacuum hose and started replacing. In the process, I broke two plastic nozzles off VRIS solenoids and in the process of fixing those, found a white plastic T adapter in that same neighborhood that had a big hole in the top of it.

Patched that up with some high temp RTV and she's purring like a kitten! (well, a kitten whose HLAs tick)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had the same issue, apparently it was a bad ditsy and my IAC screw was open damn near all the way...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts