Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

what is more difficult to remove when removing the head?

• intake manifold

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • exhaust manifold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • timing belt

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its 1 am and i just finished removing the cylinder head off my 88 gt.
at the very beginning i thought i had to re-do the whole head because i had no compression on cylinders 1 and 2. i thought this because i never overheated the engine so a burnt head gasket wouldnt be the problem. guess what, it was. now im breathing again because that costs me $40 against 500 for redoing the head, $60 if you count a new timing belt.

anyway, i just wanted to share with you guys how proud i am because i did a job that 6 months ago i would have never thought of doing myself. you can imagine how little i knew about mechanics if i tell you that when i bought the car i thought the intake manifold was the turbo, no ****.

well, if anyone needs advice in removing the head just hit me up and i can help.

c ya

G

·
Putting it back together is a little trickier. Remember to replace the timing housing and rear housing gaskets, and use RTV sealant on the intake manifold gasket, and the rear housing gasket since you have coolant running through those.

Dont forget proper torque too.

Good job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill be honest with you guys, i have no idea how i am gonna put everything back together, so you will be hearing from me soon,

what the hell is the rear housing gasket?

G

·
The rear housing is also reffered to as the "distributor housing". I'm sure you can guess what it is now.

Just use common sense when your putting it back together, there isnt too much that could be put in the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I say the intake is definitely harder. you have the upper plenum to remove, then there's that brace holding the lower to the block, which is a PITA to remove, then all the vacuum lines... ugh... The timing belt I just cut off with a knife after I remove the upper cover.

G

·
anarchyx34 said:
I say the intake is definitely harder. you have the upper plenum to remove, then there's that brace holding the lower to the block, which is a PITA to remove, then all the vacuum lines... ugh... The timing belt I just cut off with a knife after I remove the upper cover.
Why do you split the intake manifold?

All I ever do is remove the brake booster line, the fuel line, and unplug the wiring harness. Undo the support bracket in the back, and then the 6 nuts holding it onto the head.

Slide it back, and it will sit nicely on the firewall.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FlySwat said:
Why do you split the intake manifold?

All I ever do is remove the brake booster line, the fuel line, and unplug the wiring harness. Undo the support bracket in the back, and then the 6 nuts holding it onto the head.

Slide it back, and it will sit nicely on the firewall.
thats what i did

1 - 8 of 8 Posts