Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is there any way that you guys could tell me alittle about "intakes" and "cold air" and why people move the intake from where it usually is down to underneeth the car?? If I wanted to put in an intake where would I want one, what is the benifit?? How hard is it?? What kind should I get, and how much?? Thanks, sorry I lots of questions guy.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
search...

gotta do a search, there is sssoooo much info on that, I think you will have trouble getting people to respond because its been beatin to death and then some.
Cya.
Claeren

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
There have been many discussions on this topic but for the basics this thread is probably the best.
cold air intakes
Corrected

[Edited by mx6-uk on 02-08-2001 at 04:32 PM]

·
Registered
806 Posts
Here ya go:

http://www.mx6.com/board/showthread.php3?threadid=2326

http://www.mx6.com/board/showthread.php3?threadid=2167

Since I did not see anything real definitive as far as the real why and explanation *<deep breath>* Cold air is denser than hot air, so it contains a greater number of oxygen molecules. Internal combustion engines run a mixture of oxygen and a little bit of gasoline (oxygen being much more combustible than gasoline). So if you can put a more oxygen-rich charge of air into the mixture, you make more power. The problem with many open air systems is that, while they allow more air flow than a stock air box (the stock air box is usually designed to suppress intake noise), they also draw air from inside the engine compartment, where the engine is busy making all sorts of heat. A cold air system draws from outside, usually through a brake duct or around a headlight bucket. On our cars they generally either sit in the engine bay or hang down by the tranny. There are some great custom jobs out there, but I am speaking more of the aftermarket intakes.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Sorry about the wrong link above THoRRiN Didnt check it before I submitted :eek:

This is the one that I meant.
Cold air intake

Thanx xeon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts