Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rx-7 (except the 84/85 model years) had it right. BIG tachometer in the MIDDLE, speedometer off to the side.:cool:

has anyone thought of how difficult it would be to 'swap' gauges in a 2nd gen? :idea:
move the tach to the center and the speedo to the left? obviously new gauge faces would have to be made up, the needles would need to change, and the odometer would look kinda silly on the tach, but all I care about is engine speed when i'm hitting it...

any thoughts?

-spish:freak:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
it can be done, you can do it this way, buy the autometer guages, tach. and speedo and mod them into the dash.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
actually theres not enough room for that... well... without custom install and $$$

who has done this mod on a 6 jason?

go to kinkos, make new gauge faces... thats the first step. make sure all the numbers are at the right angle and lay down a transparent white and then a black. or you could do lightsheet gauges...

while the gauges are out, pull the motors and switch them and their respective wiring. not sure how hard this one is b/c ive never done it. but its worth a shot...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I never said it would be cheap. you might just want to fiberglass the entire front dash and have the gauges molded in the dash so. nothing custom is cheap. if you cant do it yourself

·
Registered
488 Posts
It would actually be easier to replace the gauges with the Autometer ones. The stock gauges are part of a circuit board, so it would be a royal pain to even try to move them. While you could reposition the gauge faces by scanning and printing new ones, the actual wiring, motors and such are soldered on to the circuit board with only two plugs hooking in to it from behind to run everything in the dash. The Autometer gauge idea has been done, one of the guys on Probetalk did it about 3-5 months ago.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
greg said it right... you would have to have an iron and some electronic skill to pull this one off. i guess thats why i mentioned it. you would have to make a few jumpers and probably switch the motors...

maybe ill test the motors and see if theyre different at all. that paper circuit board didnt look too hard to work with and if all else fails, i can etch a new one:D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
sounds tight...

anyone wanna try it?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you MIGHT be a post whore...LOL

i guess ill give my version a shot... see if it works with the stock gauges and then upgrade to indiglo. ill either do the custom lightsheet or see if someone else is willing to fab them up for me...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kewl!:D

please send pics if you do this!!!

cheers!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i sure will:D

the first step is to see how im gonna have to mod my gauges... if the motors have the same resistance, then ill just have to make jumpers on the board. if not, ill have to desolder them and move them as well...

anyone wanna start getting speed hut on a gauge bulk buy/new production? if anyone is willing to do this, its probably them... otherwise its the lightsheet route for me...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Post whore, owell so be it!!

anyway my buddy can do crazy stuff with insides of cars so i might get him to help me if i do this mod. or something else crazy to it!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i got an idea for you jason... but you gotta have some money for it... you still wanna hear it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts