Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i experienced my first slipping clutch... i was just driving and it decided to rev up when i went to pass someone. i just let it slide the first time but it still does it every now and then.

so why does the clutch slip in the first place? i just put this one in a couple months ago so i dont think i need a new one. the only new mods that i have got since last winter was CAI and 2.5" exhaust no cat. what is the stock clutch good up to? i plan on modding her more and now i see i might need to get a better one.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
bydo said:
so why does the clutch slip in the first place?
Driving technique. If a clutch only lasts you two months, perhaps you should be evaluating the automatic option.

Who did the install?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The clutch slips when the clutch disc surface cannot "grab" the flywheel and, thus, cannot couple the transmission to the engine. This usually happens when the clutch disc is heavily worn.

IT sounds to me like the clutch was not installed properly or was not broken in. Perhaps the surface is glazed or the flywheel was not resurfaced. The clutch should last much longer than a couple months and should not slip, ever.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with Majik... I do NOT agree Sleep Counter... Coulda kept that idiot advice to him/herself. Or maybe he/she was trying to be funny....

Improper surface engagement or lubrication on any of the mating surfaces... These are things that cause clutch slipage.

Is there a leak of some sort in the bell housing... Nah.. You'd get the slipping all the time if that were the case. Might be the flywheel surface. Or the pressure plate wasn't properly torqued down. Only one tranny-ripping way to find out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nothing wrong with suggesting an automatic to someone who may have burned up their clutch in a few months.

Scary when you have an automatic and you hit the gas and it just revs.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I would agree that it is either driver error, or a bad install. I have a friend who had a brand new clutch put in his Civic and had to have another put in 3 months later. It wasnt untill he was ACTUALLY DRIVING with his GF as THE DRIVER that he realized "Honey, you don't ALWAYS downshift into 1st gear while the car is rolling do you?":lol:

some people have OE clutches forever, some people replace them often, and some people have to replace them more often than they should because they never learned to drive stick properly.......

my friends GF was the latter, but MAN WAS SHE HOTTTTTTTTTTT :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could be just starting to leak oil out the rear main seal. If that is the case expect it to get worse soon. Otherwise, pressure plate problem could do it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no the clutch i had previously lasted me about a year my brother burnt that one up when i tried to teach him how to drive it then he decided to take it out on his own and practice...your talking about leakage of some sort i noticed that my coolant level has dropped to just barely above the reservoir i filled it up over night and when i checked it in the morning it was down to the same level... but i dont think that has anything to do with it... it doesnt overheat so i figure its just a leak in the reservoir.. thanks for the info.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
the dog ate my homework

Who did the install?

Was the flywheel resurfaced? Was the pressure plate new/remanufactured or just the old one bolted back in?

If you cooked the old clutch and just replaced the disc with the old flywheel and pressure plate, those shiny (slippery) surfaces won't grip worth a shot.

I'm a little confused, your first message says, "i think i experienced my first slipping clutch" and your last message says, "previously lasted me about a year my brother burnt that one up".

Wouldn't that make this your, (buzz, buzz, mumble, mumble, carry the three, mumble, mumble) SECOND (at least) slipping clutch?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Maybe his first clutch was slipping before it went, however he stated that it was his brother who had been driving it when it went out. So, this may be the first time he has in fact felt a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i probably should have been more clear when my brother took it out he didnt make the clutch slip he tore up the old tranny and i had to get a new one meiniki did the install for everything.... i was just trying to say that my it wasnt my driving skills that screwed up the clutch.... like some other people were suggesting

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
bydo said:
it wasnt my driving skills that screwed up the clutch.... like some other people were suggesting
I believe you. Now if only you can convince meiniki to do likewise, you might be able to convince them to pay for a new clutch.

How often has your brother drivien it in the last 2 months?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to my knowledge 3 times hes driven it... if i made it sound like it slips everytime i drive it i'm sorry its every now and then like it hasnt happened since i first posted i was just wondering why it slipped i was thinking maybe it was because of the cold weather giving me some extra power thats why i listed my mods...

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
bydo said:
to my knowledge 3 times hes driven it... if i made it sound like it slips everytime i drive it i'm sorry its every now and then like it hasnt happened since i first posted i was just wondering why it slipped i was thinking maybe it was because of the cold weather giving me some extra power thats why i listed my mods...
A new clutch (or a 2 month old clutch) should not slip under any circumstances short of sidestepping the clutch pedal with engine at 4500 Rs in 4th gear.

If meiniki replaced clutch and pressure plate without resurfacing the friction surfaces, there might result the kind of slippage you mentioned in your first post.

Ask them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts