Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When its 6am and 5* outside and im trying to start my car It just turns over a shit load. It will fire up after 15-20 cranks!! (maybe more)...thats way to much... I have a BRAND NEW optima red top battery and a BRAND NEW 255walbro FP, this has been a problem for awhile, the battery and fp didn't fix the problem but definently helped give a stronger start when its not cold.

Too ADD to the problem, last week my locks were frozen and i had to use a lock de-icer, i sprayed it in the lock... the next morning i turned the key to my car and the lights just went dim and it didn't turn over. I thought my battery was dead but then i noticed when i shut my door it seemed i got power back... the car then turned over 1 time then went dead... (no start) i tried slamming the door 3 times and i got full power and the car started!!!??? WTF did that de-icer screw something up in my door, idk how it could effect my car starting? must just be a coincidence. Still very odd that shutting my door hard would allow my car to start.

SO SOMEONE HAS AN EASY FIX FOR THIS RIGHT??? haha i hope so.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Mine's been having a lot of the same problems.

+More karma if they can help us both.

I just had a coolant flush, and a pretty good BG additive put in, new battery, ignition system's all practically new, Induction and fuel service done, and it's a bitch to start cold. Two or three times in the past week and a half I've had to source another ride cause it just won't start.

And several times I've had to use the passenger door to get in, cause my driver's one will freeze shut.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Does it crank slowly (or sometimes not crank at all) even with a new battery? A common cause of this, in cold weather, is dirty or loose battery terminal connections. The lead post shrinks more than the steel cable terminal in cold weather, making it loose. Remove both cables, clean thoroughly with sandpaper, then tighten fully. Maybe also same problem with the main ground, on top of the tranny.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Cranks at a normal speed) I have my battery in the trunk, it is using a brand new battery cable. All of the engine grounds are with new cables, I don't think grounds or connection points could be the problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah i live in maine and its been getting pretty cold mine dont like it eaither but like 5th crank she starts up and i have the same battery as you do

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If it cranks at normal speed, but still is difficult to start in cold weather, I would check to see if the resistance on the ECTS is within spec: 1993-1995 Engine Controller Malfunction Codes . On the V6, it's the 2-wire sensor at the end of the fuel injector rails, near the timing belt cover.

But anthrax's problem, where he lost all electrical power until he slammed the door hard, does still sound like a ground or battery connection problem, or maybe some loose connection in or near the fuse box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts