Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, just foir kicks, i put the sub i had in my jeep (and sounded incredible) in the trunk of my mx6...

well i hate trunk bass. it sounds muffled, decent thump, but no definition to the sound... totally disappointing. i prefer nice tight bass. (its a rf he2 10" woofer in a .85 cu/ft sealed enclosure, custom shaped for the rear of the jeep)

has anyone done this? : cut a hole in the rear deck, between the two rear speakers, and fire a sealed enclosure sub box with the sub facing UP through the hole... into the cabin. it would simulate the sound in a hatchback with subs... im anticipating much tighter bass.

but - is it safe to dremel out the rear deck? or is that a load-bearing part of the car?

what about custom enclosures INSIDE the car?

thanks in advance. im no newbie to car audio- just this is my first trunk-bass install. wondering what dynamics particular to the mx6 there are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have done that. Its pretty much the only way to go. I noticed that firing subs towards the back produces better results. Although my 2 15's are firing upwards...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kool.. no adverse affects by cutting into the rear deck?

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are no adverse effects from cut out portions of the rear deck. You can also try puting 8" mid-bass int eh front doors. It's a tight fit but will work if you are handy with fiberglass. Try firing the sub towards the rear of the car you may find that it solve your problem though.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried facing it towards the rear :) it helps a little, but overall - coming from a jeep where the sub and my ears share the same airspace - to trunkbass.. well its just not satisfactory :)

ill try the 8" midbass tho

·
Registered
164 Posts
It would be just as easy to totally remove the rear shelf speakers.

if your sub set-up is working okay, you will not gain anything from keeping the rear speakers in place as they will be overshadowed by the sub box and its performance.

The reason that sub bass sounds better when pointed towards the back is a question of "Cancellation" with the speaker as close to the back of the trunk the bass sound wave has only a small distance to travel before it it is met with interferrance. When placed in a normal position like behind the back seat, the sound travels first towards the back of the car and then back unto itself thus causing some cancellation.. It is a bit like playing two bass speakers with one out of phase.

The answer is to face the speaker towards the rear shelf, remove the rear speakers and all the clarity is returned, that is assuming all other things to be equal, like decent amp etc..

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was considering doing that too - but dont want to totally give up my rear fill... perhaps a component set on the sides of the seat perhaps?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
for you to not like the sound of the bass seems more like it isnt crossed over appropriatly to me!!! , your not thriving on the subsonic response of a subwoofer, .... what kind of amp do you have ... if anything your sub should sound better in your 6 than in your jeep ... i have also cut my rear deck in other cars, however if you get rear ended, it can believe it or not be considered a loss of structural integrity and insurance can hold that against you!!!, however i've never seen a problem, and my shop does it all the time!!! just make sure you have decent power in that enclosure .. at least 200-250 watts continuous, and crossed over no higher than 80hz ....

-Scuba-

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well when I had my subs facing the back, it sounds sweet... only problem is when you get out of the car and hear it like everyone else surrounding you does, it sucks, my trunk was shakin, you can hear the metal vibrating cuz of the bass. I haven't tried shooting it upwards yet, but I'll give that a go.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
in a car you arent going to stop rattles completly, but I can tell you the you can help prevent it.. place something between your license plate and the rear bumper... and make sure your trunk latch bolts are completly tight!!! ... You are going to get your best sound with the sub facing the rear

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The rear metal deck acts like a strut brace, If you weaken it your chasse may flex more under hard steering.

Incadentaly I’ve got my subs {2, 12 s in a ported enclosure :eek: } facing backwards! When I don’t have rear passengers {nearly always} I just lean the back of the rear seat forward to let the thump out :D !!
Mr. MX6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts