Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, in the past 2 or 3 days, ive been noticing a problem in my car that seems like its only getting worse. when i am any gear, and am giving the car gas, i get these sputters like my car is running out of gas. it happens often, like 2 times within one second. but what leads me to think that its not an engine problem is that i can be in neutral or have the clutch in and my car will rev as smoothly as the day i bought it. a few additional notes... i have an exhaust with a leak in the catalytic converter (soon to be replaced)... and up until about a month ago, i was so low on money that i would wait until my car was (literally) sputtering on fumes to go to the gas station. my assumption is that my fuel pump is not working correctly, or my fuel filter is clogged. any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Show me.

Hey Brian, maybe I can take a look at it for you. My guess would be an O2 sensor. You don't have a CEL do you? I know of others who have had O2's go bad and hae not gotten a CEL from it. Maybe I can take a look at it at work within the next couple days, if you work the same days as me. How's has the gas milage been? Well, I'm not a 2.0 expert by any means, but I'll help you out if I can.

Another thing that crossed my mind was the fuel filter may be clogged up(like you mentioned), if you were "(literally) sputtering on fumes to go to the gas station", then maybe the pump was sucking up dirt from the bottom of the tak, in turn clogging the fuel punp. Just a couple things to think about. Let me know what you want to do.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! that would be cool, i work 5-close tomorrow and 4-close on saturday. also, i have nothing to do tonight really, until like 8. this is just really concerning me... i want my performance back!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, no CEL... i still have yet to see it since the day i bought my car.

G

·
I am a dumbass, but what is this "CEL" and "ground ten" everyone talks about.

i knwo it has something to do with the computer, but what do they do/mean

thanks

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Hey Thecause17...

Check his fuel pressure regulator too. theres a lower volume of fuel when theres no load on the engine. maybe the fpr puts enough pressure to accomodate that but not a full throttle acceleration (or even less). the sputtering makes me think of inadequate pressure that is relieved ny the sputtering. well good luck!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
knaw CEL = Check Engine Lamp (that little orange light on the dash with the drawing of an engine in it that lights up when you turn the ignition on but don't start it.) It's connected to the engine control computer and is lit by the computer (when the engine is running) when the computer senses a fault of some sort. On all 1993-1995 2.5L V6 models of the MX6 and Probe, there's a pin in the Diagnostic box called "TEN" (which stands for something like Test ENgine) which, when grounded, puts the computer into a special diagnostic mode where the computer flashes stored error codes on the CEL (among other things the PCM does in this mode...) Some non-North American market cars (UK, South Africa etc) don't have a CEL populated on their dashboards, for whatever reason.

4-cylinder MX6 & Probes of these years may have used Ford's EEC-IV engie system and do not have a TEN pin in their diagnostic box. Their codes are read out by grounding a separate wire called "STI" or "Self Test In".

4banger93, if the aformentioned suggestions do not help, I'd next suggest cleaning the MAF sensor elements. Do a search on "MAF cleaning" to get the skinny on this fairly quick procedure. BTW, I'd use brake-part cleaner on the elements and not carb cleaner...

·
Registered
93 Posts
JspecMX6 how to???

JspecMX-6 said:
Check his fuel pressure regulator too. theres a lower volume of fuel when theres no load on the engine. maybe the fpr puts enough pressure to accomodate that but not a full throttle acceleration (or even less). the sputtering makes me think of inadequate pressure that is relieved ny the sputtering. well good luck!
Good idea, but how do I check the FPR? Like I said, I'm not an expert. :) Someone help please, I'm leaving in about a half hour to go to work and take a look at his car.

Brian, I'm leaving soon, so I'll see you in about an hour. Laters.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
does he have a 4 cyl? also do you have a multimeter? also now that i think of it...i dont think its the FPR. its what relieves pressure when the fuel pump pushes too much. it might be overacting tho (relieving too much pressure).

[Edited by JspecMX-6 on 12-16-2000 at 02:53 PM]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah he has a 2.0, and I don't have a multimeter. We took it for a ride yesterday so he could show me the problem. The car hesitates throughout the entire powerband. IT's not just a low end or top end thing. IT's everywhere. You can also hear this little putting noise from the exaust. So he's gonna replace the fuel filter, plugs, and air filter, and run some fuel injector cleaner in it and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts