Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every time my car breaks it breaks at least three entirly different problems.

First: The car would not start it was making a rapid ticking sound so i figured it was the starter. So I replaced the starter it started fine the first few times but then when i went to start it later it would not start. So i figured it could be a relay or another starter seeing how it is a remaned starter. What could this be?

Second: The car seems as if it is getting hotter than usual. It would run right at the thermometer symbol. Now it is almost going into the red. my initial thought was thermostat but i replaced that less than a year ago as well as the radiator about 2-3 months ago. and the water pump was replaced less than a year ago. The only cooling item that i have not replaced is the radiator hoses, but i do not see how that would cause my car to heat up.

Third: The car will randomly shut off when under boost as if it were hitting fuel cut, but i am running stock boost. I have talked to a few people and they say that it is my fuel filter but i replaced that late summer. I was thinking fuel pump but Rebel2k4 said that he did not replace his original pump until 180k miles. I was also thinking it could be electrical problems.(seeing how the electricals suck on these cars from my experience)

My thought right now is this car is garbage!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
First: Rapid ticking from the starter indicates that the battery does not have enough energy to spin the starter properly. This is either due to your battery not holding a charge or due to your alternator not charging the battery. Take a voltage reading at the battery both with the car off (should be 12.6 volts) and the car idling (should be 14.4ish volts) to test the battery and alternator.

Second: Check to make sure your front cooling fan is coming on when the temp is above halfway. If it's above halfway, the larger (front facing) fan should be on. If it's not, check the relay near the battery (closest to the battery) for corrosion at the connector.

Third: It sounds like you have a leak in the intake piping somewhere. Check the rubber throttle body boot and all other piping for cracks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
im with magik8 on the first one. its the battery.

are you boosting more then 12 psi? if you are then thats why its cutting out.

how far are you from savannah,ga?
if you want to get rid of it then i might be intrested.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had all of the same problems.

1. It was the battery for me.

2. It was my thermostat. Replace it just to make sure, it's easy.
(don't let it get too hot, you'll be sorry)

3. My car would stall since I forgot to tighten the TB boot and the car would stall since it was leaking, it would'nt pop off all of the time so it was hard to track down. But, check all intake connections and tighten all clamps to make sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update the when i go to start the car there are all kinds of sparks coming from where the starter is.

I will pull the battery today to take it in but i doubt that that is the problem.

The cooling problem it is entirely possible that it is the thermostat so I will either replace it or maybe even take it out if that is not terrrible for the car

For the cutting out problem I will run some injector cleaner through it.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
sparking

That's not good ! Look at the wiring connections.
As Magik mentioned, check the relay and wiring for the rad cooling fan. There's also a coolant thermosensor switch that may be bad. Are you getting flow through both rad hoses ? Check each hose's temp, as the t-stat being stuck closed would cause a difference between them.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
cooling fan relay

First, test and make sure that your fan's motor is good.

The biggest problem with the relays is that usually the wiring connector corrodes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i need to figure out what is wrong with the starting problem first I was thinking it was a starter. Now i am thing it coulde be a relay but i am not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
starting problem

89mx6gttuner said:
Update the when i go to start the car there are all kinds of sparks coming from where the starter is.

I will pull the battery today to take it in but i doubt that that is the problem.

Hey 89mx6gttuner;
Yeah, you're going to have to focus your attention to one problem at a time. Starting off with your starter issues would be a good place to start !
If you're getting sparks from your starter, something is probably wrong with the wiring connections shorting out down there. Be sure to disconnect the battery while working on the starter. Check the leads and ground for the starter's solenoid.
Starting problems can sometimes be attributed to a weak battery or faulty alternator not charging properly. These things will need to be in good working order before the starter can do it's job. Trace all the battery and alternator wiring connections/grounds to make sure they're ok.
If you're unsure of electrical stuff, a manual with prints is always helpful. Be careful as you can cause yourself more problems if not fully understanding the basic theory and principles involved.

·
Registered
392 Posts
look and see if the nut is on the starter. i forgot to put the nut on the starter and about a month later i sprayed the bov and piping down with brake cleaner. then i started the car and started a fire in the engine bay. luckly (sp?) i was able to beat it out with minimal damage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the problems sloved!

First: it would not start because the ground wire was loose. it was not even the starter

Second: the engine was not running cool cause the fan would not spin fast enough cause the battery was shot

Third: I believe the cutting out problem was due to lack of a good battery seeing how the alternator never puts out a constant charge.

Thank you for all of your help.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
a new battery = problems gone !

It's good to hear that most all of your random problems have been resolved. Often-times the simple stuff is overlooked during the frustration involved when gremlins attack from all directions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts