Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Mx-6 Lx. I found a great deal ($400 W/ 90,000 mi.) on a 2.2L turbo motor, complete (exhaust manifold, intake manifold with injection system; all belt driven accessories and the intercooler (that my friend says it looks like its for a lawn mower). I’m thinking of picking it up and dropping it in to my LX. I would like to know if my stock computer in my LX would operate the turbo motor correctly and anything eles i would need. I dont want to know the the wiring harnesis are differant I want to know what they are so I can get what I need or just run new wires or what ever I will have to get of the GT. I want to make the call on if its worth it or not and how much work it is.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not worth it! See other threads.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The other threads basically say that building an LX engine up to the GT standard isn't worth it, because of all the differences.

I am definately no expert, but I would have thought that dropping an entire GT engine into an LX would be Ok.

But, from what I have read you would have to get either an aftermarket computer, or the GT computer, as the rev limits and fuel mapping are different.

Also I believe that the gear ratios in the GT transmission are slightly different as well.

I would get the GT computer, wiring harness and transmission as well, or else do alot more research into what else you will have to do to get the engine running 100%, The LX computer isn't good enough.

I'm currently looking into an engine swap as well, but to the FE3 16v DOHC n/a engine. found one for AU$1850 :)

Feel free to flame me for my ignorance :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
i say go for it man, i dont see why it wouldnt hurt if you had the money, and time. people dont understand, we love our dx's and lx's do death. not to mention my dx doesnt have all of those extra's. so the 2 hundred pounds i will save in weight would only make ours go faster. they must be scared of a turbo charged dx. i dont know about the rest of you but after owning my mx6 for 3 years i have come to really like it. i know when something isnt normal, or how to fix it. if i go out and get a gt, there is alot of differnt things and new problems.
from my stand point it would be cheaper to drop a new motor in mine than to go out and buy a gt. most of my mods are permanent. thus costing me more b/c i have to do them all over again on the new gt. i will stop now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah, if you dont have a second car, i wouldnt just do it. your poor mx6 may be down for a few days or weeks, months.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You would still be missing the GT's sport steering and adjustable suspenssion and all that nifty stuff too.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you dont find a trans. from a turbo car, be prepared to blow up the one you have. The turbo Trans. is much stronger to deal with the tourque of the GT. I wouldn't do the conversion without a tranny.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you change the trans, be prepared to change alot of other stuff. Things that are different: Flywheel, Clutch, Engine-Trans spacer, Starter, Axles, Hubs(easier to change the whole spindle), Slave cylinder, Trans Mounts, Line from master to slave. basically everything that touches the trans.Oh yea, Shifter assy also. I traded a blown up N/A for a Turbo trans and changed everything! Pulled both cars into the shop side by side and just switched parts for nearly 4 Hrs! Just be prepared! If you need parts, let me know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts