Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since the main problem is one-tire-fire and throwing the diff pin with high power, what if you welded the whole diff carrier, spider gears, and pin all together? The tranny literally would not be able to throw the pin. Of course, it wouldn't be very streetable but in the long run would it work? Anyone ever considered this?

BTW dont tell me to go and buy a $2k LSD when my car doesn't even blue book for that. It's not gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
It would work, but you wouldn't be able to turn with out stressing the hell out of the drive shafts. When you weld all the parts together you get one solid unit that won't allow the tires to turn at diffrent rates while turning. It is also illegal at many tracks and trust me they will know you did it when you pull up to the line.

~Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to go with Flyswat on this one. My family has been involved in dirt circle track racing for as long as I can remember, and we used to weld the spider gears on our Bomber cars. They were second gen Chevy F-bodys (70-81 Camaro/firebird). I can say from experience, it won't turn! We couldn't turn those old chevys if they weren't in the dirt, and that was with the rear locked, which don't have to serve as the turning wheels.
Not to mention, with our weak as hell trans., I wouldn't want any more stress being applied than what it already has.

Fly-In the dirt they cornered great, as you wanted to get the rear loose, hang it near the fence, and have traction when it straightened out!

·
Registered
461 Posts
If u get ur diff welded u WILL be able to turn
Once your driving like over 20kph everything is like normal it just feels a litle bit like there is no power steering just like when your turning from standing still and u can also hear the clong clong as well as your inside tyre spining.I havent had no problems for 1000ks yet.Just waitin to fit the bigger turbo on as i sold my vf22 and then its off to the track to c how good it is.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SixSick6 said:
ghetto mod, nuff said
And a 5th injector isnt?

My friend has a toyota with huge 35's and he had a welded diff and never broke a thing. I actually had no idea he had it done until he told me.

What do you have against it? If it saves some GT transmissions, then why not? I'm not saying I'm going to do this, but it could be a solution for those than just cant seem to keep a transmission together. I was just unsure if welding the diff pin would be okay.

If I did anything, it would be cryotreating and a PG though.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So JeTx5, you've done this huh? Did you just weld the spiders or did you weld the pin in too? Keep us posted, I am kinda curious how much power a welded tranny can take without exploding.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
a 5th injector is definately ghetto, but works. Welding inside the tranny is a definate negative unless you only plan on having a track car, and once again, alot of tracks (most) don't let you do it.

Why not try your luck with a Phantom Grip? Only $299, Fallguys friend uses one and has his car running in the 12's on an F2T :shrug:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to either have a spool made or adapt one from another vehicle. I mean, all a spool is is a flange on the ring gear attached to something that directly connects the axles together. I've seen more complex stuff made on this site.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SixSick6 said:
a 5th injector is definately ghetto, but works. Welding inside the tranny is a definate negative unless you only plan on having a track car, and once again, alot of tracks (most) don't let you do it.

Why not try your luck with a Phantom Grip? Only $299, Fallguys friend uses one and has his car running in the 12's on an F2T :shrug:
yeah yeah I expected some of you guys to get pissed off about me posting this. I dont know about you guys, but when i go to the strip the techs dont really look twice at my car. I highly doubt they would notice me having a welded diff. But once again, I wasn't really planning on doing this anyways. I dont make enough power to break trannies yet. Once I do, I'll look into something.

I was basically just getting a feel for what you guys think. Kinda odd how people like JeTx5 don't post much about mods until you bring it up. I am pretty surprised someone has actually done it.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
My friends got a welded diff. in his CRX, he runs a 12.2 on street tires

Hes also gone through 5 racing axles (making u-turns)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah well, I'd rather swap an axle than a trans. :shrug: 12.2 is pretty impressive for street tires BTW. If you had lifetime warranty axles it wouldnt be too much of a problem. Just dont turn around :)

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Rebel... I think you need to clarify a bit.

Are you asking if its a good idea to weld the diff pin (to prevent diff pin failure) or the diff (in its entirety to create a posi, ie: no differential action)

If the first, then It seems a simple enough solution to the issue of diff pin failure from "walking". Could there be other issues by doing this? Perhaps ,(Tooth failure maybe?)but if your desire is to have a daily driver that can withstand some hard launches at the track, this seems like a solution to a known issue of the transmission. (Hmm, phantom grip WITH a welded diff pin.....very interesting)

If the 2nd, I would think a welded diff would be best suited to a track car. Personally, I would be able to justify the lower utilty for the added strength(even though, ironically, it may lead to other parts of the driveline failing from the added stress) of a welded diff on a track only car. On a street/daily driven car I would not be able to justify those possibilities as easily.

Happy holidays

Gavin

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You know what gavin, thats an interesting point. I first thought welding the spiders together and the pin, but never thought about just the pin. Call me dumb, but what exactly does the pin do?

Oh yeah, and I don't think that a PG would have that much of an advantage for me. I never, ever, have problems spinning just one tire. I did a 30 second burnout at the strip once and it was both tires smoking the whole time.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
spool=push

HotRodMex said:
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to either have a spool made or adapt one from another vehicle. I mean, all a spool is is a flange on the ring gear attached to something that directly connects the axles together. I've seen more complex stuff made on this site.
I think (check with sick to be sure) if it comes with a decal, it no longer qualifies as "ghetto".

:D

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I never, ever, have problems spinning just one tire.
Same here, both of my tires always spin. I dont do burnouts much but when I do they both spin

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Call me dumb
Hey man, youre dumb. :p (damn I crack myself up)

The diff pin holds the 2 smaller pinion gears.

Thinking about this a bit, this may not be such a bad idea. Pin failure is thought to be a result of the pin wearing itself away in its hole in the diff. Theres a small bit of space for the pin to move around. over the years the pin either wears thinner or the hole its in gets larger. More space to wobble around, wears faster, harder hits as it hits into the diff pin hole, more stress on the pin. Slowly but surely..pin failure.

If the pin was welded, there would be no possible movement ofthe pin as its essentially one with the diff housing. No failure possible(in this regard at least). The spider gears will still be able to spin around the diff pin allowing differential action.

It is a permanent solution though

Hows my dream sequence going so far?

Gavin

1 - 20 of 29 Posts