Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil has been leaking for a while now and i have been putting in a quart a week. today when i was driving home my car started ticking and the exhaust sounded louder. when i got home i jacked it up and looked for a leak, but i didn't see one. so i started my car and reaved it up. it started leaking under the crank pulley, i figured it was the oil seal thats behind it. when i was trying to get the crank gear off. i think i cracked my block even more, oil started to poor out a little. now for sure i know its leaking, it sucks so bad. im not sure what to do yet. so i was thinking of getting a new crate motor

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
A new remanufactured engine will cost you around $2000. Not including the turbocharger or intercooler. Its nice that they're warranted but its more money than most 1Gers will dump on their car. You could buy a whole other car for that money. I believe Jasper Engines and Trannies are the cheapest for a warranted engine.

-Tyler

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i was looking at napa and they have new motors for 1500 to 2000. i don't want another car, i put to much time into mine and plus know one has them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think it is the oil seal leaking but i also know i cracked the block cause i can see where its leaking. i hope you can jb weld it or something.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
SixSick6 said:
Aren't you Garret and didn't I meet you at Jesse's one day? Check PYP on 50% weekends. I picked up a long block for $165. The only thing is that you have to pull it yourself and get it home yourself. Are you sure your block is cracked? From where?
What was the total bill by the time yours was finished, Damian?

$165 for a long block at ½ price?

Geez, I got the whole shootin' match (complete engine from TB boot to exh elbow) for $65 CDN plus $25 core charge.

That'd be about $76 US. I guess our half price is less than half of your half price.

By the way, notice that that $17.49 radiator is actually an intercooler (they even noticed that but called it an "inercooler").

Also notice that while they chose to charge me for a starter and alternator, they neglected to bill me for the turbocharger. Oh well, I guess that's another bonus.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
An entire turbocharged motor runs roughly $365? without tax at PYP where most of the cars would be drivable if they didn't have to deal with Ca smog. In total I paid around $1200 for my rebuild. $660 for the gasket kit and pistons. $250 for machine shop, $165 for the engine. I still have my old engine in the garage which still runs fine if it were installed. That engine is next. I was thinking of buying an LX/DX to put the motor in with 8.6:1 pistons and using a VJ11 to keep it a daily driver with a twist and keep stock boost levels.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
SixSick6 said:
An entire turbocharged motor runs roughly $365?
Reading comprehension C-. An entire turbocharged engine (a motor is something that runs on electricity) was $90 CDN ($76 US). Theres a set of wheels and tires in there, a drive axle, an intercooler, a steering knuckle and rotor and transaxle. As well they charged for the attached power steering pump, starter and alternator along with a bunch of core charges.

thick said:
In total I paid around $1200 for my rebuild. $660 for the gasket kit and pistons. $250 for machine shop, $165 for the engine.
Bux well spent.:tup:

Now about that finish ...

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Read it again. MY cost for a entire turbocharged engine is $365. I put a ? there because I couldn't remember if it was $365 exactly but it was close enough for government work. $365 really stuck out in my head though.

The finish works better than my $300 car alarm which never gets any use. *I* live in suburbia, others do not and like shiny things much much more than I do.

It serves dual purpose.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
disarming

SixSick6 said:
Read it again. MY cost for a entire turbocharged engine is $365.
Good job with the nomenclature. A+

thick said:
The finish works better than my $300 car alarm which never gets any use. *I* live in suburbia, others do not and like shiny things much much more than I do.
Some seem to like stealth finish and shiny elbow.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts