Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my remote sticks down whenever i arm/disarm my alarm causing it to go off which makes my alarm kinda pointless, so i need a new remote, my alarm is an avital, thats all i know about it since it was installed by the previous owner, how/where/what do i do to get a new remote for my alarm.

heres a pic of my remote now.....

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Avital was made by Clifford. Clifford is now owned by DEI. I honestly do not know if the Avital brand still exists, but if they do, one of their dealers could get you a new remote.

On another note - sticking bttons on remotes are usually caused bythe rubber button bladder sticking inside because it's either crooked or dirty. If you open up the remote like you were changing the battery (usually a matter of one screw and a flat head screwdriver inseted into a slot on the edge of the remote and twisting), you can remove the single rubber piece that serves as a skin for all the buttons. Clean it up, and make sure it's reinstered correctly. Also clean the actual buttons inside with a cotton swab and a LITTLE bit if alcohol, MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS REMOVED FIRST!! let it dry for a bit, put it all back together, you should eb OK. If this doesn't work, you will need a new remote.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, well my remote doesn't seem to have a bladder thing, so for now i just made a new button for it out of tinfoil pieces of a paper toilet roll and scotch tape. Avital brand does still exist i saw some at best buy, which is where ill go tomorrow and see if they can order me one.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my new button that i made for the remote doesnt work, and best buy told me to look on line, and i said i did. and they said they couldnt help me then.....

now what?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here are a couple of sites that do remote replacement
Car Remotes R us: URL=http://www.carremotes.co.nz/spare_remotes.html#]http://www.carremotes.co.nz/spare_remotes.html#[/URL]

Remotes Unlimited: Remotes Unlimited

I am pretty sure you will be able to get a replacement for any remote at the second site.

Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the links!!

the 2nd one helped me find a matching remote, and i also found it somewhere else. The only problem is for a remote they want $60! which would be ok if this was some fancy alarm/remote start/keyless entry thing, but its just a basic alarm, i could buy a new one like this for almost that much. For now i just removed the sticky button cover thing and can kind of reach in and press the button itself, im sure its not good to have the circuit board thing exposed and it will probably wear out quicker but eventually i plan on upgrading. Thanks for the help though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts