Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 mx6 2.0l and i cannot find a test pipe for it......anyone knows where and how much..........and do i get better perf. or what....... thanks for the imput.........2fast2cme

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can get one on ebay ... Just SEARCH >> MX6 Testpipe.

Your cheapest way though is just take your cat off, and bring it in to a muffler shop. They are about 30 dollars and come with the gaskets.

On ebay I think they are 30 plus however much they rape you on shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The catalytic converter is a restrictive unit. By replacing it with a test pipe you will gain power and open up your exhaust >BUT< if you live in a state where you have emission laws, it would be advised not to do. You will not pass a smog test by having a test pipe from what I hear. Just a heads up

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
94Shogun said:
The catalytic converter is a restrictive unit. By replacing it with a test pipe you will gain power and open up your exhaust >BUT< if you live in a state where you have emission laws, it would be advised not to do. You will not pass a smog test by having a test pipe from what I hear. Just a heads up
Testpipes are illegal in all 50 states, and most industrialized nations. For good reason.

They are a gross, inconsiderate modification. The benefit over a new high flow cat is negligible.

If you get a testpipe, little spiders will come bite you in your sleep.

I won't bore you with details of just WHY its an awful thing to do, but if you call me on it, I will.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, it is better with a high flow cat for environmental and legal reasons. However, a test pipe cost versus a high flow cat is dramatic enough that some of us do go the former route.

I have not run a test pipe in awhile, but when I did it pulled a bit better on the top end. You won't see any major gains from just a test pipe on the I4. I hope you already have a CAI and headers to go with a TP and of course a cat back is almost a must.

If you got the money, a high flow cat is much better for the overlal picture than a TP. But if your broke and you don't care if your grand kids uses an oxygen mask go for it..I did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well i know nowwww.Thanks a lot for all u guys input.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------97 mx6 2.0l, bored out tb at 65mm, pacesetter headers, poly.uthr. inserts,2 1/2in. pipe w/ cat back exhaust, msd6al, blaster2coil, ngk8.5mm, weapon r cai, 2- 12in kicker comp. inside acrylic box. 2pioneers6x9. and 4 bose tweeters.and a 1200w lanzar amp.....SOON 2 B TURBO......................
[email protected]
2FAST2CME

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Also testpipes can be had for much less cash if you do it yourself. I figure I help the environment every day I don't drive my Camaro. It can repay me by letting me go catless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts