Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my timing belt changing odessey today around 6 PM. It's 7:45 here now and I've gotten everything taken apart. The old timing belt is off (still looks like new)and I'm doing OK. My problem is that I want to replace my cam and crank seals and waterpump. But I can't figure out how to loosen the Cam and Crank timing belt pulley bolts without turning the pulley! How do you do this???? My timing belt is off, as I said, so I have to keep everything in proper relationship to each other somehow...

Also whoever put in my last set of spark plugs cross-threaded two of them. Is this a huge disaster or can the threads be fixed?

I have to get this done before I go to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK...emergency over

I decided I'm not up to messing with the cran and cam seals. I was going to change them as ultra conservative preventative maintenance, but since my first set lasted from 0-120,000 miles, I'm just going to hope that the set that's in there now will last until 240,000 (and I'll probabaly have a different engine by then, so there's no worries). I've got my waterpump changed and I'm about to put my new timing belt on. This is all way easier than I thought it would be, for the most part.

Only problem is those mis-threaded spark plugs...

Does anyone know what it means when your spark plugs ahve white ashy stuff on them?

Thanks

G

·
ANTISUV, you can buy a spark plug thread chaser from parts store. If your thread is really messed up, some of these chasers come with heli-coil, sort of thread replacement. I just did mine couple of months ago. Make sure when you chase your thread that you follow the original path, and you use a lot of grease on the chaser so those metal bits will not fall inside your chamber. Do it slowly and take it off so often to clean the metal bits. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts