Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys--

Im sure you will be able to help me. I cant search for cv anything because its only two letters and I dont know where to search otherwise. I took my car in to get checked out and they said I need a new cv axel. I looked and the boot is blown open. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a new cv axel and replace myself to save on the cost. Is this possible? If anyone has done this or knows if it is hard and what tools I would need let me know. THe mechanics gave me a sound to listen for when it gets bad and said I have a few weeks before it must be replaced so I do have some time to figure this out. Thanks.

--Bryan

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Unless you really like working on your car, or have access to a lift and all the proper tools, I would just recommend taking it somewhere....just not a dealer!!

This is what some of the guys from st louis told me, and part out probes and mx6's almost as a business. It didn't really cost me that much...maybe 200, I can't remember the actual number.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Bryan, its one of those jobs that can be really easy or become really difficult - it depends on your luck. In theory, it is easy - remove the wheel, remove the 32mm axle nut, pop the lower 14mm balljoint to spindle bolt, separate the control arm from the spindle/wheel bearing, pull the outside axle shaft from the spindle, and pop the axle out of the trans with a prybar. With a lift and not running into any complications, I can do the job in 15 or 20 mins. HOWEVER, IF THE OUTSIDE AXLE SHAFT IS SEIZED INTO THE WHEEL BEARING OR THE INSIDE ONE IS SEIZED INTO THE TRANS, THIS JOB CAN TAKE HOURS - ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A DECENT ASSORTMENT OF TOOLS.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had mine replaced last summer. Hughes46 is right about doing it yourself. It can be a fairly easy job if nothing goes wrong. If you have complications it can really suck. I hunted around and found a shop to do mine. It only cost me about $65 for the parts and the total was around $125 if I recall correctly. Take it easy on your car until you get it done. If it goes out before you get it fixed you're looking at a lot more money.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, once again, with Hughes. I replaced both my axles myself. (got them from autozone, rebuilt, lifetime warranty. $55 each) No lift. I had a jack and some prybar's and other assorted tools. Passenger side axle was NO problem. It took maybe 30 minutes. The Driver's side was a different story. The Axle was seized inside the transmission, and 2 of my friends and myself tried to pull the damned thing out. We even went as far as to try to pull the damned thing out by use of a truck(we tied a towrope to the part with steel cables and tied it to the back of the truck). It was going to pull the car off the jack stands before that axle came out, so we put the old one back in, and took it into the shop. They are gonna charge $85 for the install for that, but now I don't have to worry about it. *yay*

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL DracoTachyon, you used a trunk!!! omg thats funny ****.

All i did was use the prybar the provide with the car to hammer it off. Just wedge it in there and giver her some hits, you'll get it off, the jobs easy as hell.

Do it yourself: 50-75$

Let some asshole do it for you: 150-200$

= get your self a haynes manual

P.S. you'll need a new hub nut ($2.00)

·
Registered
921 Posts
6thInfection said:
LOL DracoTachyon, you used a trunk!!! omg thats funny ****.

All i did was use the prybar the provide with the car to hammer it off. Just wedge it in there and giver her some hits, you'll get it off, the jobs easy as hell.

Do it yourself: 50-75$

Let some asshole do it for you: 150-200$

= get your self a haynes manual

P.S. you'll need a new hub nut ($2.00)
hub nut came with my axle, purchased axle at autozone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts