Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read through these forums and ive looked at the common problems there are on mazda MX6's.

I have a few problems im trying to figure out!

I have a 96 Mazda Mx6 V6 and i just recently bought it at 106k miles and it now has 107,400 miles.

Now usually on cold starts and most of the time when i turn the A/C on it squeeks really loud. It also does it when i turn the wheel. Just recently i had my friend look under the hood, while the hood was popped and car was running (A/C on) and when i turned the wheel and revved the engine up to around 3k some smoke (not alot) started to come out around the a/c compressor. Now im thinking this might be a bearing inside the compressor that is on its last life?

For my other problem, Usually on cold starts it takes at least 2 key turns to start it. 1st time it will just keep turning the engine over and nothing will spark to start the engine. Now on the second try ( 95% of the time) it will start right up.

Today I just bought some spark plugs and changed them out, but havent yet tested it. To see if it has problems on cold starts. Going to let it cool down for a couple of hours and check it out.

Now if this isnt the problem can you guys pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me?

I would really appreciate it alot..

Thanks a bunch :xoxo:

Nikki

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seizing a/c compressor or power steering pump..

weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention..

After the squeek starts, ill immediatly turn the a/c off then turn it back on and it wont squeek any more.

I dont think its the steering pump becuase i have no problems with the steering. No hard turns or anything....

I will go ahead and get a fuel filter and replace that and see if that works. If that isnt it, how hard is it to get into the fuel tank to get the fuel pump out?

I have a friend who can do the work, i just wanted to know if its a at home job or have to take it to a shop?

Nikki!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Tighten your belts up. They could be loose wich would cause the squeling. It would also cause the alternator to not charge properly, which may result in difficulty starting due to lack of charge on your battery.Just a thought, and an easy fix to do.

·
Registered
787 Posts
check the contacts inside the distributor. They should not have white deposits. Scrape that stuff off and perhaps use emery paper to clean contacts. Verify plug wires are conducting proper power. They lose the ability to transmit if old or broken. Consider changing plugs.
If all that proves ineffective, look to the fuel supply system, starting with the filter, located beneath the stock airbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
poppy said:
Tighten your belts up. They could be loose wich would cause the squeling. It would also cause the alternator to not charge properly, which may result in difficulty starting due to lack of charge on your battery.Just a thought, and an easy fix to do.
how do you tighten the belts?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nikki928 said:
Forgot to mention..

After the squeek starts, ill immediatly turn the a/c off then turn it back on and it wont squeek any more.

I dont think its the steering pump becuase i have no problems with the steering. No hard turns or anything....
Does your A/C get really cold when its on? Your A/C should be at least 20 deg. bellow outside temp. If its not getting cold you could have a leak in the A/C system.

If your refrigeration is low there will be a lack of oil going to the compressor. This would doom your compressor.

Is there any oil leaks around the compressor/lines, condenser/lines?

The oil you see on the lines and fitting would be leaking with the refrigerant. If the A/C works fine then the squeek could be the clutck on your compressor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, it blows really cold....I think it could be the clutch on the compressor. Anyway to replace it?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Its your A/C Clutch. Even if your Ac compressor isnt on, the car still uses it for defrost. Your best solution is to cut the electrical from the compressor. This means you wont have AC, but you also wont have squealing.

Your problem with the starting is probaly related to the FPR. When you upgrade to a aftermarket FPR, it usually takes a while to start the car because the FPR doesnt store fuel pressure, the stock one does. This is just a guess, but yours isnt keeping pressure meaning you have longer starts.
it cant be the fuel pump, because once started the car runs fine, also the same goes for the fuel filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts