Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well...just advice.

Firstly, a bit snapped off in my sunroof a while ago, (or was snapped off...the thing worked fine til a mechanic got ahold of my car...), and i want to know how important that part is.

Heres the part:

and heres where it was, before the plastic snapped

is it just a stopper? Is it still ok for me to use my sunroof?

Secondly, the suspension in my car is screwed. Its constantly loud, and gets louder the faster the car goes. "front and rear suspension is noisy & worn, wheel bearings noisy" is how the (different) mechanic put it on his notes after i got the waterpump done. ANYWAY, i think its the reason my tyres are wearing so oddly.

Thats a front one. the rears are fine. I cant afford tyres at the moment (gotta fix the suspension) so if i was to stick the better tyres on the front would it do until i can afford to replace them?

any advice/ideas etc?

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Ok, that pic shows wear from way too much toe out. I'm assuming that both front tyres look like this??? Too much toe out will give you a loud noise whilst driving.

Describe the noise you are hearing? It may be tyre noise from having a poor alignment. Can you elaborate on the worn suspension?? does it make a knocking noise or squeak or what?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both front tyres look like that, but the right one is worse. Its a knocking noise, and you can feel it through the floor. It gets louder as i get faster, too, and i all the time, not just when im turning etc. i dunno, im not too good at explaining whats wrong with a car.

How would i go about getting toe out fixed?

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Does it know when you go over bumps? sounds like it needs the rear bushes of the front control arms replaced.

Take it to a suspension shop and tell them it makes a knocking noise and it is wearing out the inside edge of your tyres.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now to find a suspension shop in geelong :p Thanks mate.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
The part on the sunroof is from the locking assembly. it normally breaks free from the cast part of the assembly and locks the slide rail in place.

You will need to replace the entire sunroof assembly to replace it.
I do have a spare assembly but it would cost you to much in freight from WA.
Best look at local yards and see what they want for a sunroof assembly.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i guess thats gonna cost a bit then :( IS it ok for me to continue using it, at least on tilt?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
tilt should be ok. just be careful no smart A$$ comes along andpushes against it whilst its like that. If you were in WA you could pop around and grab my spare at a reasonable price but Melbourne wreckers can't be that bad can they?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to a suspension place today, and im told its the front left wheel bearing thats causing the noise. Its getting fixed thursday week.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. If i manage to get my hands on a sunroof assembly, how hard is it to change it over? Taking into account my almost complete lack of mechanical ability, so i'd have to pay someone to do it....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eek. and theres no one in geelong i can get to help me. I wana learn how to do stuff to my car, but no way am i gonna attempt self taught....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts