Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my car is falling/ breaking down on me. OK. My transmissions third gear synchro is shot, so I can't use third gear, my clutch slave is now leaking so I have to get a new one, and I'm pretty sure that my cam seal is shot because I'm leaking oil from behind the timing belt cover.
First off my motor has blow by so it could really use a rebuild bad and I definately need a new tranny.

Guys help me decide which route to take??

I am pretty sure I can get a used '89 2.2turbo from the junkyard and the 5 speed that was with it from an '89pgt. ok bonus, but the motor and tranny have at least 205,000miles on them. If I got that motor I would need to bore the cylinders, find out if I can regrind the crankshaft, port and polish the head and some other various necessities.
Tranny is questionable?? I don't know what kind of condition it's in internally.

I need info on what is the best bore .30 over or what? Should I get a rebuilt tranny instead or should I have that one rebuilt? Who can I have polish my head and other goodies?
Remember guys I'm not dropping $5,000 into my car. I'm on a very limited budget. I need your guys help on planning this out.
Oh or should I just buy another probe and probably be faced with this later on, or get a gl and transfer all of the GT stuff onto the GL (cheaper insurance).
Oh what are the differences between the 2.2na and turbo??
Thanks guys.
eric

·
Registered
449 Posts
Here's some info:

NA 2.2L --> 110HP, 130 Torque
Turbo 2.2L --> 145HP, 190 Torque

The two engines are more or less the same except for the major facts like a turbo and exhaust manifold. The timing is controlled by the ECU through the use of cam angle sensors, The turbo has a knock sensor and has better parts (crank, con rods, pistons). Compression ratio is 7.8:1 (NA is 8.6:1).

Concerning your question about an engine conversion, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a lot of work. The engine blocks are the same between the GL and GT, but many other things are different. Steering Rack, ECU, intercooler, tubing, and exhaust system (complete), and there are more little things. To make sure the conversion is done correctly, you'd have to have a GT parts car. It only makes sense that if you buy a GT you would keep the GT. If you want Turbo, I'd go ahead and buy a good used GT if the budget allows.

Unless your engine block is in really bad condition I would go 20 over. I wouldn't buy the 205K engine, just for the fact it could be worse or in the same condition as your engine. If you can find a tranny with about 100K then I'd use that. 205K is just too risky, especially on a small budget. A good rebuild for your tranny is probably going to run about $600.

I don't know how far your knowledge goes for automechanics, but it sounds like you know some stuff. Here's a temp fix. Replace the cam seal ($10? if you do it yourself, 1/2 day job). Get a used low miles tranny or rebuilt one. Depending on how bad the blow by is on your car, you probably last a while longer on your engine before you need a serious rebuild. Its probably the cheapest way to go until you've got money.

That's my opinion. Hope it helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recommend looking around. You can get a wrecked GT for about 500-600 bucks with around 100-150k miles...then you can drop it into your car or rebuild the engine and then drop it in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some more info

Hey guys I have a '91 ford probe GT already as my car that is having these problems. I guess I forgot to mention that. So you guys are thinking to fix the cam seal and that'll hold the motor off for a while and to see if I can just find another tranny for it?
Ok now comes the hard part of finding such a tranny in good condition.
thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My Wrecked 90 GT

I've got a wrecked 90 GT, ran great. Tranny was tight, motor too.

Make me an offer. EVERYTHING worked on the car. I got pics at

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/firstgenmazdamx6club

under jiffy's wrecked 90 GT

Depends on what you would want to do. you might put the front end of your car on mine (this would save a lot of work with wiring harnesses--cause mine is a GT). Or put the motor and tranny into yours. I don't know what all this would entail.

The car is parked in Marshall, Texas. I might be able to help with delivery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts