Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah on my way to work today I was driving down the Hwy and out of nowhere I felt and heard a loud noise. It sounded like a blowout at first and then I felt a huge bump... turns out it was the lower half of my intake tube.

Not cool... not cool.

Anyway, I wasn't about to drive it home like that so I was forced to go with my Gfriend and buy a plastic piece of rice from autozone... it cost me 60 bucks :( Got it in tight and went home.

Now I was wondering if anyone has one they could sell to me cheap? If not I'll just order one somewhere else, but I thought I'd ask.

Heres the autozone one (it comes in three plastic parts... it's pretty lame).

Ps: Always make sure your cold air is in tight and secured well... I learned my lesson, hopefully it will remind you guys too!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ouch!! Happens to the best of us though, i ran over mine in my grand prix because it wasnt attached very well. Id say just get an ebay one, cant be to expensive for the v6.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeh for 50 you should be able to get one shipped to you.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
For the time being, you could just slap a filter on like I did. Right on the VAF...

Arguable if the performance is worth it or not, as it does draw in warmer air, but, works.

My intake got busted, I don't even know how. At least you do. :rolleyes:

But a few days prior I had seen that filter in the junkyard and picked it up to use as a paper weight. Now I'm actually using the darn thing without choice(As I don't feel like footing out money to replace the intake as I don't know what I'll be doing with it yet...)

But, I'd just stop by autozone and pick up a filter, and do what I did. Either that, or eBay it up...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far so good with the auto zone parts, but I was looking and there are some pretty cheap ones on ebay so that's probably what I'll do.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yeah, an intake isn't something you need to dish out a lot of money on. The actual manifold is where it's at. :tup:

Otherwise, my opinion is piping is still piping. Just make sure you've got a good filter.

Never seen much of a difference in aftermarket intakes anyways, aside from reliability. Which sadly is the deal here... :tdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well heres the thing... If you loose your intake somehow you can do lots of damage to your engine sucking up dust and dirt and what have you. Plastic parts for something important like that just bugs me a little. I'm sure that with the heat that comes with your engine plastic parts will expand and contract over time and eventually start getting loose on you... I just don't want that. On the other hand plastic works okay you just need to check it every week or so and make sure it's still tight.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
lol, i just had my intake fall off and rolled over last week as well. I'm surprised so many people had this happen. Luckily only the filter fell off on mine, and I was about 4 blocks away from lordco... so I just drove over to lordco and bought myself a new k&n filter.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
If the intake isnt supported you can always buy T bolt clamps, but then I would worry about the couplers wearing through witht he vibrations after a year or so...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts