Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a strange phenomenon happened today. We were on our way to the autoshow and I pull into my friend's driveway which is at least a 30 degree downslope into the garage. (or the side of the house, cant remember) The car is full now (5 adults) and I proceed to violently reverse out of the driveway. Anyway, my clutch has been releasing VERY slowly since I got it engages really high up; so I'm there trying to back out and the clutch is slipping rudely, engine RPMs are at like 5000 and I jest let up completely on the clutch. We were moving, but the clutch was slipping, engine racing with turbo spooled up. Needless to say I let up on the gas and pressed in the clutch and THERE WAS SMOKE EVERYWHERE, billowing from under the car!!!!! HO-LEE-CHOW! Inside filled with smoke and I had to open the window to clear the stink of burning clutch-lining. I have NEVER heard, seen or experienced anything like this before. Never. My clutch has only about 30,000 (km's) on it since it was changed... what was that all about!! I must have added another 20,000's worth of normal wear with that one burnout alone. damn, anyway (back to the point!!) do you guys think my slave cylinder is gone rotten? it releases so ufcking SLOW when its cold, I could pop the clutch off the line and it will engage smoother than normal!!! As for the clutch in its present state, I drove it so gently trying to maximize the time it was engaged fully so it could transfer some of that heat to the flywheel to dissipate!

·
Registered
375 Posts
mabye

It might be. It you relpace it, buy the repair kit. It only costs $6 at Autozone. Its easy to repair, not to mention it cost alot less than a new one and its the same thing. That way if it dosn't fix your problem, you didnt blow off alot of money. Hope it works, later.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, someone else told me you had to buy the whole slave, but I'll be happy just changing the seals if I can get them!! Does anyone know if a higher DOT rating fluid will work in the clutch?? I want to get a silicone based fluid so maybe it wont be affected much by the cold or hot teperatures

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You've probably fried your clutch. Did you put the clutch in? Or did a mechanic? I'm not trying to be mean, but I just can't imagine why you stayed on the gas so much (5000rpms) knowing the clutch was slipping--were you drunk? You may have even warped your pressure plate depending on how hot it got.

It is possible that it is the slave cylinder, but it may be low spring pressure on the clutch.

Either way, good luck--and don't do that again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jiffy6969 said:
You've probably fried your clutch. Did you put the clutch in? Or did a mechanic? I'm not trying to be mean, but I just can't imagine why you stayed on the gas so much (5000rpms) knowing the clutch was slipping--were you drunk?
LOL! No, I wasnt drunk, just disappointed! And I didnt put the clutch in, I just bought the car a couple weeks ago. I was told the clutch was put in at the Mazda dealership. I was kind pissed at the stupid thing for acting up, with hopes that it would engage in the next 3 seconds, but I guess it didnt. It usually engages fully with normal driving. The flywheels ok... no shudder or vibration... totally smooth. But its beginning to annoy me. I can never get a tight engagement, its always sluggish. I'm gonna rebuild the master AND slave (and put some synthetic DOT fluid in the system) when I go on reading week. arggh

peace

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can you really buy a rebuild kit? My slave cylinder is going out, at least I belive it is, is that the part the pushes on the clutch release fork? Anyways it is leaking.

·
Registered
711 Posts
No point rebuilding a slave. 15.99 at Autozone. Worth the money vs. honing, cleaning, and praying it isn't too pitted inside. It had to have leaked for a reason! Worth the 9 bucks in price difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts