Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The meet tonight was pretty cool, got to chat with some of the guys in person, and Dragonstar took me out in his 2GEN mx6.

A lot of 1GENers bag 2GENs as not having enough torque, but I found it to be quite powerful even at low revs. And it was so smooth it revved freely to 7k redline with no roughness at all. Of course it doesn't have a turbo but even still I think over all it is a much better car/engine than the first gen.

Apart from its refinement, you all must admit it is a damn sexy car. I've always thought it looked awesome but I was put off because I didn't think it was powerful enough. I think even stock it would be good enough for me, but with a few mods and maybe even a KLZE it would go well.

I'm going to read up on 2GENs, KLZEs and good mods because I'm seriously considering buying one now, so if any of you have advice, tips, common problems etc it would be appreciated.

I'm so happy to be staying in the MX6 family!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I fell in love with them, the first time I saw them, when I first started looking for a car to buy.

I was keen on the MX-5 at the time, but for some reason, I started checking out the 6's, and the 2nd gens, just give me a boner everytime.

I've been posting lots here recently, because I just purchased my MX6, 2nd 95, in my favorite colour Silver :) I was spose to get it friday, but the guy selling it to me, had to leave it with the mechanic overnite, as he got a rwc for the car.

So hopefully, by tomorrow Saturday I can go crusing everwhere iin the 6 :)

Anyways, did anyone take any shots of the meeting?

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Nice to see your joining the dark side :) j/k

common probs? Distributor failure on the pre 95 models
Caliper leaks/seizure on the pre 95 models
the HLA issue,
Valve cover gasket leaks
4WS system of course, need to check it out.

Try and get a manual, 2nd gens blow auto's as much as you guys blow manuals :( if you get an auto get a tranny cooler fitted.\

The non metallic colours fade. Ie the white and the red. The metallic paint jobs seem to hold up very well.

If you test drive one check out the spare tyre wheel well, as water sometimes leaks and accumulates there if the boot seals are stuffed.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I just wanna say sorry i missed last nights meet
because of work:(

but ya, "im another gen2 owner", with a few mods....

and i tell ya that thing flys!, and i do have a lot of respect for the gen1!, dont get me wrong, there are a great car

but ya gotta move on some day

:p

lol....jk andy

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
What you guys are saying is the view I’ve always had about our cars.. the first gen is an excellent machine no doubt .. but still the second gen is my over all favorite..
As far as the power goes the klde is strong but mainly only at the higher revs..l but the klze has more power from the lowest of revs all the way up …
And as I haven’t tinkered with my f2t yet I don’t have much to say other than the power is flat till it spikes for a short burst then flat again..
This is the kind of topic that gave Barry the humph.. but at the end of the day it is each to there own. .I love-em both

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I agree I love them both, I will never forget my 1GEN :)

I think there should be some healthy rivalry between the gens, and I think we should be able to debate the benefits/disadvantages of each car, I seriously don't understand why people get so pissed off about it? Its not like we're debating Holden vs. Ford, we're debating 2 generations of the same damn car!!

They are very different cars, one is a torquey I4 turbo, the other is a revvy n/a v6, perhaps the biggest design change of any car still keeping the same name. Mazda obviously had its reasons for the change and ultimately its up to each owner which one they want, but why do people get so defensive that they have to bag a previous/later version of the same car they are driving?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts