Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was shifting hard yesterday, I thought nothing of it. Today I get in and try to start it up, no problem. It won't go in gear, I tried kind of hard, no deal. Damn..so I shut the car off, put it in gear, start it up, I move. Is it possible for this to be anything but my clutch? The clutch might be 18 months old, but I've been hard on it. If this is my clutch, what upgraded clutchs are recommended. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Sounds more like the slave cyl. to me. A pretty simple fix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What function does the slave cylinder serve? I know where it is, I'm just not sure what it does. Thanks for the reply anarchy.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The clutch "slave cylinder" is also known as the release cylinder, because it does just that. When you press down on the clutch pedal, the cylinder moves the clutch fork, releasing the transmission from the engine so that you can change gears without grinding.

Is your clutch feeling soft or different than it usually does? If so, that's a definite indicator of a failed release cylinder. Get underneath the car and check for fluid leaks and have someone press the pedal so you can see it move. Also check the clutch fluid. The release cylinder commonly leaks around the rubber boot attached to it. It's a $25 fix, provided you can get all of the air out of the clutch system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The clutch does'nt feel any different other than when I push the pedal to the floor and let it go, it has a small "stutter" to it about half way back up. I did notice the slave had a little fluid right on the small rubber boot. Will the slave still move if it's bad, or if the clutch is moving and it does'nt move, that means it's bad. Is there a fluid resevoir for the slave cyl? Thanks for the help guys.

I actually went out to the car about 2 hours after I posted this and checked some stuff out. The pedal has no resistance what-so-ever. It's like there's nothing holding it in place. When the slave goes out is this what happens?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can you buy a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder? Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these? I would be interested in this too.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to buy a new slave cyl...rather than rebuilding it. Im not sure on that. But id just buy a new one if i were you. 2 bolts, 1 line and alot of bleeding the lines and your done. If theres no resistance, as you put it, it would definitly indicate a problem in either the slave or clutch reservoir. Have someone push the clutch like magik suggested. Look for leaks around the slave cylinder and the clutch reservoir.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Rebuilding the thing is not worth the trouble. A new one is $25!

1Bad: Yes there is a reservoir for the clutch. It's located to the right of the brake fluid resevoir.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Magik8, where can one of these be found new? Dealer?

·
Registered
248 Posts
i rebuilt my slave cylinder about 9 mounths ago and it is fine cost me ten bucks instead of 60 for anew one.
the kit came with a aluminum pole and a uber gasket on one end and also a spring . and it is pull the old one out and push the new one in. very simple

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Dylan, just that easy huh? Just pull the old one out, put the new one in? Was bleeding too much of a pain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some investigating and..My clutch fluid resevoir was empty. I knew it might have been leaking a little, I guess I never figured the leak was that bad. My question is, when the res. goes empty does this hurt anything? Or could I just fill it up and go. I'm gonna try to just fill it up and see what happens. For bleeding the system my manual says to use hydraulic (brake) fluid. Is this what others have used? Brake fluid. well, I guess i'll do some more searching. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You now have a clutch hydraulic system completely full of air. Fill it up, replace the slave cylinder, and try bleeding it. (Yes, brake fluid is the stuff to use. It says right on the resevoir cap). Just filling it up isn't going to do much because you have a massive amount of air in the system. The clutch will not work right until you get ALL of the air out.

You will more than likely need to take the car to a shop to have the clutch system power-bled. It is very difficult to get all of the air out of the system manually.

As for getting a new slave cylinder, your larger local parts stores should have them for $25. No need to go to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts