Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 mx-6 gt 5spd. all i do is drive back and forth to work but i want the blow off sound when i let off the gas. it very faintly whistles when i get on it but i cant hear it blow off when i shift or let out of the throttle. i have no clue about turbos and no im not in it for power just the sound. dont want it idling rough or sounding ghetto. if i need to buy anything where and what do i need thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you want the sound its most likely going to idle like crap, bog between shifts, and run rich at low rpm's....

to get the sound you want you need to vent your blow off to the atmosphere.... but the reason your car is going to run like crap is because the MAF will meter a certain amount of air going in, but because not all that air will be going into the engine because some of it is leaking out the BOV your car will be running running because its giving the right amount of fuel for the air thats being metered but not actually entering the engine.... there will be to much fuel entering the cylinders.

Also when you shift, there will be a rush of air dumping out the BOV, all that air will be metered also, and your ECU will dump fuel into the engine causing an extremely rich mixture, and causing your car to bog between shifts....

So pretty much unless you are running an engine management system its not very good idea to vent your BOV... And to buy an EMS system just to vent your BOV is pointless... to much tuning and messing with the sytem, install, etc. just for that sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
only the true performance mx6's can make that sweet sweet BOV sound. ya the sound is all you want eh. then they all laugh at you cause your all appearence. people. why customize your car to look like something out of a fast and furious movie when a lawn mower can keep up with you. i would rather have a tin can that has 400 ponies than a tricked out grass cutter.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Alright boys and girls...no need to flame :)

OP, get yourself an HKS SSQV or Blitz BOV, not the knockoff. Or I'll flame you :p

To do it the right way without getting afterfires and bogging between shifts, get yourself an SRI and you can hear the stock BPV through the filter.

But can I ask why you absolutely NEED to hear the sound?

·
Registered
19 Posts
He can do it that way, but its still won't be that loud... depends on how loud he wants it... either way he doesn't "need" to hear it....

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
He can do it that way, but its still won't be that loud... depends on how loud he wants it... either way he doesn't "need" to hear it....
It doesn't start getting "loud" until you are above 12psi of boost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol 90mxgt, just turbo your 6 and get it over with.. You'll be a much happier camper with a turbo and BOV sound, instead of dropping a bunch of dinero just to hear air move.. just a thought

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
lol 90mxgt, just turbo your 6 and get it over with.. You'll be a much happier camper with a turbo and BOV sound, instead of dropping a bunch of dinero just to hear air move.. just a thought
He has the stock turbo...he has a GT.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
they aren't supposed to go on the pressure side. you will also run into reliability issues when the shockwave of air bounces off of the throttle plates and slams the VAF door shut.

I'm sure you can do it without issue, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Sounds like all the 2genners that run an FMU and stock ECU. They all put the VAF/MAF on the pressure side. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
it's designed differently, that's why :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had a buddy thats all about turboing hondas and shit tell me my shit was fast as hell! ive just never been into the fwd scene. but he told me to put a plug into the hose going into the bottom stock bov and leave the bov exposed it made since and i did it. and im happy with the sound but now its messing with the MAF cause its running lean and not idling. should i just order a after market bov and be done with it or will that fix the MAF problem.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
your honda friend doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. 98% of bypass valves are open during vacuum, unlike blow off valves.

and again, you don't have a MAF, you have a VAF.

and stealth, 2g's have a VAF as well...it's just designed difference, same concept. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts