Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
if its just surface rust then sand it off with sand paper then, but make sure it;s all gone then just put the rust proof primer and touch up paint and your good to go, you will still notice it a little but it up close because odds are you won't get it perfect with the painting but it will stop the rust from spreding

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most likely, what you're seeing is the result of the rust that's been eating away for years now.

Unless you grind down and get rid of ALL possible rust, you're never going to get rid of it.

I had no rust when I bought my PGT, but 2 years later, rust came like cancer from little spots, and when I attempted to grind them down, I saw that they basically ate up the whole car from inside-out.

Welcome to the world of rust.

Edit; realized you're from florida, maybe you're lucky.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you really care, take it to a GOOD autobody shop, now just Bill's autobody, but somewhere with a good reputation in your area. Let them look at it, and discuss how it should be fixed PROPERLY. Sometimes you can grind it down, sometimes you can't, sometimes they need to cut part of the metal out and make a new piece in its place.

That is the best way to get it fixed, without a doubt.

-Bryce

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Si[xXx]er said:
If you really care, take it to a GOOD autobody shop, now just Bill's autobody, but somewhere with a good reputation in your area. Let them look at it, and discuss how it should be fixed PROPERLY. Sometimes you can grind it down, sometimes you can't, sometimes they need to cut part of the metal out and make a new piece in its place.

That is the best way to get it fixed, without a doubt.

-Bryce
Sounds like a great idea, but I cant really do anything about it. The spots are very small. Even if i tried to sand it off I would scratch the paint. If I waited to for the rust to expand, thats bad too, even worse. Ill figure things out. Thank for the help guys :).

·
Registered
947 Posts
just do a small square, you need to take the paint off to fix it anyway, it has to be a little rough for the new primer and paint to stick and you need to sand the rust off, its about 1000 times easer then a grinder for small spots and you might cause more damage to the body if you use a grinder depends on how skilled you are, but start with a ruff grit and keep going up i started with a 80grit paper and worked my way up to a smooth 400 before i primed and painted.. I would try to get it as soon as possable, with winter upon us the road salt/sand just eats away at the body like crazy, the longer you leave the rust the more work,$ and time your gonna spend trying to fix it, i did mine my self, it was about a 2 days of work but i got it all sanded down primed and painted, it doesnt look the best but my car is going into paint come the spring anyways, but i much rather have a car that the paint looks a little ruff then have rust holes and having to replace parts of the body..

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Marcus said:
rust... I hate rust... hope you get it fixed!!!
I was practically having a fit of euphoria when I went to the local u-pull and all the cars sitting out there had pretty much no rust anywhere, despite being left out in the elements for years. I can't wait to buy a car out here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think most rust comes from driving arround. Ateast in Cali if it rains it dries up pretty quickly so theres so rust on an open car.

·
Registered
947 Posts
kurklk said:
I think most rust comes from driving arround. Ateast in Cali if it rains it dries up pretty quickly so theres so rust on an open car.
well i think also that you don't get to much snow there if any and they dont salt the roads, road salt speeds up the eating of the body like mad

·
Registered
394 Posts
John_Shea said:
well i think also that you don't get to much snow there if any and they dont salt the roads, road salt speeds up the eating of the body like mad

Good point. But here in Bay area we do get a lot of fog and iN AREAS LIKE PACIFICA oon the coast we do get a lot of rust. Im not in pacifica tho but my car came from there A LOT OF RUST

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
John_Shea said:
Yep.

Where I'm from, you can leave painted metal sitting inside the garage and it will still start rusting in a couple years. Unpainted metal will rust literally before your eyes.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You really need to take care of that rust if you intend to keep the car for a few more years. If you can't afford a body shop that can handle it I would go to an automotive paint store and get their advice on how to repair it. I would also thoroughly check over the car for rust, including the underside, because there is probably more.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
WOW... I can't believe you guys have the rust problems you do down there.. man oh man. with all the salt we have on our roads... 2nd gen MX6's NEVER rust (here at least).. I've only seen three cars here that have them.. and one of them is my winter car. How do you guys pull it off? I'm assuming its the constant humidity.

There is a phenominal "paint" called ' Rust Destroyer ' its basically a brownish red paint that you can paint on to the rust. It'll change the PH level of the metal so it can't rust any further. Most home/auto centers should carry it.

hope that helps.. best stuff out there really.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Graham_A_M said:
WOW... I can't believe you guys have the rust problems you do down there.. man oh man. with all the salt we have on our roads... 2nd gen MX6's NEVER rust (here at least).. I've only seen three cars here that have them.. and one of them is my winter car. How do you guys pull it off? I'm assuming its the constant humidity.
The biggest issues:
-Humidity is always high like you mention
-People park cars in garages
-We are much more likely to have the car all covered in salt and then have the temperature go above freezing which dramatically speeds up the process.

·
Registered
947 Posts
skiingman said:
The biggest issues:
-We are much more likely to have the car all covered in salt and then have the temperature go above freezing which dramatically speeds up the process.
Ya, thats always a bitch... i wash my car alot in the winter but you just can't help it.. and even when you try to wash it your door locks freeze and you can't get into your car untill it warms up a little and the door locks unstick...and then you frezze your ass off out there trying to wash it all coverd from the presserwasher spray off.. god i hate winter lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts