Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
The stock intake does a good job , buy using short ram or a cheap CAI ur just going to be getting more noise and worse fuel efficiency.

just buy a K&N square filter and put it in ur stock airbox.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Any CAI is fine, those eBay ones are just as good as anythign any other company can produce. Remember, only a dumbass would pay 10x for a piece of aluminum and a marginally better filter when he/she can get it for such a low price.

The only thing you would truly have to do is buy some exhaust (or high heat) wrap and cover the entire tube to make sure you don't get severe heat soak.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hey Parisifal, is there a way i can email you, or better yet IM you on AIm or something, i need to talk to you about this for a quick couple of minutes, thanks.. but if parisifal doesnt come back to read this, than can someone tell me straight up wether short ram air w/ heat shield or cold air is better, an most importantly, why?member.php?u=2102

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know I've asked this before, maybe in the wrong forum, but... would it be possible to modify an aftermarket header to be used as a turbo manifold? IE cut a whole in one of the runners, weld up a downpipe/flange to match your turbo (which you can find, say, T3/4's on Ebay now for roughly $200), run custom piping for the intake... just seems like usually the manifold/intake is usually the most expensive part (assuming you know where to shop for everything else).

I understand that you still need a beefed-up fuel system, lower compression pistons, etc. etc. but just as far as the PLUMBING is concerned, is that possible?

Also, has anybody had any luck finding a 3" MAF sensor that'll work with the same calibration as our tiny little 1.5"-2" MAF? Throttle Body?

Aaaand last but not least, I see on corksport.com that they have the FL-ZE intake manifold available; would this be a DIRECT bolt-on replacement of the stock I4's manifold? I plan on getting the JDM intake cam within the next month (along with a full head rebuild), pistons will probably come later this year), and as I mentioned above I'm on the hunt for a bigger MAF & throttle body to increase flow to the manifold. Already have the short-ram intake, header, full exhaust (Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster muffler, 2.5" pipe), aluminum flywheel, stage 3 clutch... plan on doing the MSD SCI ignition, adjustable FPR & 190lph pump pretty soon as well.

So is all this a wasted dream to get my N/A I4 to see 200hp without swapping to a full FL-ZE? Ah well, won't stop me... hehe

·
Registered
337 Posts
hey Parisifal, is there a way i can email you, or better yet IM you on AIm or something, i need to talk to you about this for a quick couple of minutes, thanks.. but if parisifal doesnt come back to read this, than can someone tell me straight up wether short ram air w/ heat shield or cold air is better, an most importantly, why?
Ah, while I'm here... hehe I think this is more of a personal preference/cosmetic thing than anything... honestly. Some people SWEAR by cold-air intakes, swear up-n-down that the *slightly* cooler air makes a huge 5hp+ difference... BUT, think logically here, whether or not you're pulling air from outside or under the hood, by the time it hits the manifold it's probably pretty well warmed anyway.

I prefer short-rams... wide-open flow, no "excess" tubing length, the motor can just suck as much air as it possibly wants. And if you clear a few things out of your engine bay, you should be able to drop your underhood temperature and free up some air flow (ie header/exhaust helps push out exhaust out faster, lowers temp; air intake, replaces the huge ugly box, better flow; relocate the battery/tray, etc. etc...)

Like I said before, I think it comes more down to cosmetics (are you a racer or a showcar?) and personal preference, I don't think the CAI makes any much more power than a short-ram, if at all...

EDIT: Just thought I'd throw this out there as an alternative... I plan on relocating my battery in the near future and basically running a Y-pipe off of my current short-ram; one short length located where the battery used to be for the short-ram, and another length running a little more toward the front bumper, for the CAI. It'd look nice (dual cones, lotsa chrome) and feed your car all the air it could possibly want. Couldn't hurt performance 'cuz the car will only pull from the "least resistance" intake... probably more from the short-ram than the CAI side. Either way...

·
Registered
420 Posts
imo a basic intake filter is good enough for any car that's running slower than 9's. Once you're running next to a full-mod GNX, go for the expensive intake. Until then, save that $$$ for some headers or something else.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hey, love this thread, very informative. Quick question though. I have a Canadian 1997 2.0, does this mean it's a FS-ZE? Where can I check the engine code, if it's printed somewhere on the engine? If so, then what can I do to make that one better, other than headers/exhaust/cold air?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well considering all of the above it depends on if you want to make a N/A (naturally asspirated) motor or F/I (Forced Induction) motor, in case you don't know FI systems are turbo's and super's. Now, if you want to go N/A I say go with FS-ZE directly or rebuild the FS-03 with JDM parts(basically converting it to a ZE). The ZE is a good high compression N/A platform, thats what it was made for. You "can" buy the ZE and turbo it, it's possible but it involves way more time and tuning that anyone wants to do, and if it's not done right you'll blow it up or it just won't run right, period. Only like 3 people in the US have actually had a FS-ZE in their car running properly in history...something to think about, also thats not to mention a turbo'd FS-ZE. If you're going to turbo your motor stick with the 03. It has a lower compression than the ZE which is MUCH more tolerant to inproper timing and tuning that the ZE is. Just requires a little less and still gets huge gains.

ok so what all is involved in turning the fs-03 into the fs-ze, and are you going to have the same problems that every body except the 3 people? i have a 93 fs-03 and its almost at 200000 miles so im about due for an overhaul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"an mx6 beating a rx7......that's like pee wee herman beating up the giant........"

that is not true!!! i have an Mx6 Rs and i wup on Rx7's all day at the track, but....i run cirucit and willow springs. The Mx6 has a lot of potential, and im kinda ashamed at how many people on this webbsite have an mx6 and yet they trash it. thats not cool. I have witnessed first hand how powerfull this car is, and i have a lot of respect for it. I myself have beaten a 2001 corvett, 350z, and rx7's just with the FS03. so i disagree. But as for the topic, i think you can swap the KLZE into the FS body, if im not mistaken, you need the V6 powersteering pump, Radiator Hoses, Axles, and there is minor fabrication needed to mount the transmission. i myself have reaserched a whole lot on the topic of Swapping the KLZ into the 4 banger and i know there is mixed feelings on this...but as for my opinion, i think it can be done, and i plan to do it myself....but on the other hand, I totally agree that it is easier to do the swap if you have have an A-spec V6.

P.S. sorry didn mean to ramble..lol

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
There are posts already that tell you exactly what you need to swap a 6 in place of a 4 banger just search.

it would be a waste of time to modify the 4 cuy trans to fit the 6. Just buy the 6 cyl with all accesories and trans wiring harness ecu axle's mounts etc.

It will all bolt in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
"an mx6 beating a rx7......that's like pee wee herman beating up the giant........"

that is not true!!! i have an Mx6 Rs and i wup on Rx7's all day at the track, but....i run cirucit and willow springs. The Mx6 has a lot of potential, and im kinda ashamed at how many people on this webbsite have an mx6 and yet they trash it. thats not cool. I have witnessed first hand how powerfull this car is, and i have a lot of respect for it. I myself have beaten a 2001 corvett, 350z, and rx7's just with the FS03. so i disagree. But as for the topic, i think you can swap the KLZE into the FS body, if im not mistaken, you need the V6 powersteering pump, Radiator Hoses, Axles, and there is minor fabrication needed to mount the transmission. i myself have reaserched a whole lot on the topic of Swapping the KLZ into the 4 banger and i know there is mixed feelings on this...but as for my opinion, i think it can be done, and i plan to do it myself....but on the other hand, I totally agree that it is easier to do the swap if you have have an A-spec V6.

P.S. sorry didn mean to ramble..lol
Wait, how can a i4 98hp mx6 beat a 255hp rx7 on the track? The Rx7 would have the advantage in acceleration AND cornering. Unless that driver spun out or failed at life, I really cannot picture that happening. And yes, the Mx6 is formidable, but only compared to other FWD cars. There is no way our cars can beat an Rx7 on the track.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Wait, how can a i4 98hp mx6 beat a 255hp rx7 on the track? The Rx7 would have the advantage in acceleration AND cornering. Unless that driver spun out or failed at life, I really cannot picture that happening. And yes, the Mx6 is formidable, but only compared to other FWD cars. There is no way our cars can beat an Rx7 on the track.

Not all rx's are 3rd gen TT's.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ok maybe i missed it, maybe i didnt. either way im looking for some advice. im rebuilding my engine, and one of my pistons is completely trashed. does anyone have some suggestions, of where to get a set of 4 oem pistons and rings? ive looked for a while online and found some made by NGK in japan, but it was also on ebay so im a little weary. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanx

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey everybody, the mazdaspeed protege has the same exact engine as our I4 there is only one difference, the exhaust cam won't support our distributor since the protege uses coil packs... so everything internal u can swap into our I4 and the turbo kit off the protege will bolt right on with space to spare which can lead to us being able to use any mod they have for the 2.0 protege and mazdaspeed version. i have a I4 and my buddy has a mazdaspeed protege and we have been comparing the stuff. i knew our I4 had potential and this is just the boost we 4 banger nuts were needin

·
Registered
187 Posts
The stock intake does a good job , buy using short ram or a cheap CAI ur just going to be getting more noise and worse fuel efficiency.

just buy a K&N square filter and put it in ur stock airbox.
You get worse efficiency because the CAI induction noise sounds cool, so we're always dogging the throttle :p. I actually noticed an increase in gas mileage, nothing tremendous, but a definite difference from that restrictive stock intake. I guess everyone's experiences are different

121 - 140 of 179 Posts