Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question about an I4 motor

I have an 4 cylinders '93 mx6 .
And i'd Really be glad to know what motor is placed on it and what i can do to get more horsepower.
I ask to you on how identifying this motor.
Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I Found a part called the Turbonator that can add 15-30 Hp, it costs only $35. It also improves your gas mileage. Has anyone here tried that? Does it really work as advertised. I believe the site is turbonator.com if you wanna check it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have something like this in my intake now(just before throtle body - about 5 in). It is a small windmill. It rotates very lightly and it's made whit some kind of plastic (very good quality by the way). There was no noticeable power or torque increase on dyno (I measured my car on different dynos, so there can be some gain, but more possible is that it simply changes the power and torque peak whitout anny noticable gains). I feel that the car is now more responsible for fast adding gas . Even when I'm driving 60 mph on a 5th gear, there is a fast reaction for quick throtle add. Maby it's because of the other, more advanced mods, but when I put this litle thing (it cost me something about 15$) I saw that the difference is worth of money. Just don't think that this will give you 55BHP gain, because it's simply impossible whitout very comlicated engine mods (like N/A -> turbo conversion, for example).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just asked this questions. looked a lil more and found this one. great stuff. Thanx, like all the ideas. never really thought you could do that much to them. I need the performance mods though... I sort of keep getting bullied by LS and GSR, K24.. my 6 looks fast already.but its just that looks are not enough, however , with these steps right here... I can at least stay with them a lil more. If I can't, let me dream. Anyway thanx.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have an 4 cylinders '93 mx6 .
And i'd Really be glad to know what motor is placed on it and what i can do to get more horsepower.
I ask to you on how identifying this motor.
Thanks.
You have the FS-DE. It`s a 2.0L I4 pushing out 114 HP because tou have the 1993. You have a few options:
1) Swap out the I4 for a V6 KL-ZE, it will run you about $2000-$3000 dollars and you will have anywhere between 195 - 205 HP depending on which ECU you`re going to use.
2) Turbo the motor you have now. This will also cast you a few thousand dollars, but will be less reliable and could break easier.
3) Simply do the bolt-ons(Intake/Header/Exhaust/Intake Cam from an FS-ZE)
4) Attempt an FS-ZE swap. this is highly unrecomended for performance asspects as it will be EXTREMLY hard to get it to run to full potential if at all(174 HP).

I Found a part called the Turbonator that can add 15-30 Hp, it costs only $35. It also improves your gas mileage. Has anyone here tried that? Does it really work as advertised. I believe the site is turbonator.com if you wanna check it out.
I haven't ever heard of that part. And if it's advertising 15-30 HP on $35, it's most likely a POS eBay semi-scam. Don't go for it. get an air intake instead, should run you about the same price, but it WILL give you SOME power(if fitted to a header and exhaust)

EDIT: I just checked the website. Yeah, don't buy that. if you have a restriction in your intake, spinning air will hit it too.

I have something like this in my intake now(just before throtle body - about 5 in). It is a small windmill. It rotates very lightly and it's made whit some kind of plastic (very good quality by the way). There was no noticeable power or torque increase on dyno (I measured my car on different dynos, so there can be some gain, but more possible is that it simply changes the power and torque peak whitout anny noticable gains). I feel that the car is now more responsible for fast adding gas . Even when I'm driving 60 mph on a 5th gear, there is a fast reaction for quick throtle add. Maby it's because of the other, more advanced mods, but when I put this litle thing (it cost me something about 15$) I saw that the difference is worth of money. Just don't think that this will give you 55BHP gain, because it's simply impossible whitout very comlicated engine mods (like N/A -> turbo conversion, for example).
What you said is pretty much the easy way of this: I used it, and it kinda felt faster. It was probly just your other mods, or the fact that you wANTED it to feel faster after installing it, so you told yourself it felt a little faster. I went through the same stage with the "chip" which is a resistor that tricks the ECU into thinking the air is always cold so it dumps more fuel in.

I just asked this questions. looked a lil more and found this one. great stuff. Thanx, like all the ideas. never really thought you could do that much to them. I need the performance mods though... I sort of keep getting bullied by LS and GSR, K24.. my 6 looks fast already.but its just that looks are not enough, however , with these steps right here... I can at least stay with them a lil more. If I can't, let me dream. Anyway thanx.
The I4 MX-6 was never designed to keep up with GSR's and K24's??? IT was designed as a fuel saving, middle class, sports coupe. Use it that way, or change car/motor. KL-ZE swap is the best option on a budget. KL-DE swap + turbo is a more expensive but stronger one.

On this, I say good luck to you in your automotive project and welcome to MX6.com!!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm going with a better clutch, light weight flywheel, light weight crack pulley, full exhaust with 2.5 pipe, removing battery to the truck and taking the CAI to wear the battery was and wrap the header and CAI in heat wrap, Intake Cam from Corksport or Mazdaspeed Protege (I spelled that wrong, I think) and the Exhaust Cam from Corksport (maybe) and redo the head (port and polish) you think the FSDE will run better then. I have a year to 18 months to buy part before I come home. And Maybe some lighter wheels. and the Outlaws Spacers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have to say some worlds about CAI - CAI, like BOMZ, from V6 fit to I4. You have to buy one silicon 77>67mm (You need 3x 77>67mm, kit has 2x 77>67mm + 1x77>90mm) and everything works perfecly :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's rediculous to think that the 2.0 in the second gen mx6's are pointless to mod. Maybe somebody doesn't want to deal with the trouble of a turbo or engine swap. There are enough companys out there that make aftermarket parts for these engines. I say take advantage of them. I am doing a N/A build on my 2.0 at the moment and have assembled pretty much every part that I needed with aftermarket parts that will make my lil motor a screaming rev happy four banger.

In the first moments of thought about this project there were not as many options as today. Now there is no excuse as to why somebody shoulden't build their 2.0 if they so desire. I am aiming for 170-180 hp for my mx6.... If any 2.0 guys are interested here is a link to my build plans (ever changing lol)
http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/209527-dustbin-s-motor-rebuild-56k-toke-up.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
TURBO for I4???!!!

I have looked everywhere to find a turbo kit for my 1993 2.0L MX-6. can someone please tell me if theres a kit out there. if so where can i find it?!!

I wanted a mx6 and to turbo it. guess i shouldve bought the v6 ls eh?

·
Registered
817 Posts
there isn't a turbo "kit" for this car. You have to find a turbo that will work with the car. Alot of people use the basic T3/T4. You are going to have to find a turbo manifold, or create one. I think the MSP manifold works? Then fabricate a down pipe, tap the oil pan, and all the other turbo stuff.

I'm not very up on turbos; more of an NA guy.
But turbo kit for mx6 = not gonna happen
you can make your own "kit" though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
don't bother with the intake manifold. Cams are a good upgrade though.

The JDM intake manifold uses a different system VICs or something like that IIRC? It's got butterflys in the manifold that seems to me kinda operates like VTEC. It's kind of a pain in the arse and i'd say your better off porting an Aspec manifold and port matching it.

If you insist on going that route however, I remember there was a model of the Proteges that had the same manifold as the JDM 4cyl mx6 intake manifold. Much cheaper than the $600+ manifold on corksport.

·
Registered
817 Posts
wow, good stuff. Might consider that later on when I go forced induction. What I meant was there isn't going to be a kit for the six found in the latest sport compact or modified mag. Highly doubt HKS or any other company is going to offer a "kit" for the mx-6. Would be nice.....but don't forget that this car was marketed to middle aged women. Not much demand for a turbo kit among middle aged women lol

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
don't bother with the intake manifold. Cams are a good upgrade though.

The JDM intake manifold uses a different system VICs or something like that IIRC? It's got butterflys in the manifold that seems to me kinda operates like VTEC. It's kind of a pain in the arse and i'd say your better off porting an Aspec manifold and port matching it.

If you insist on going that route however, I remember there was a model of the Proteges that had the same manifold as the JDM 4cyl mx6 intake manifold. Much cheaper than the $600+ manifold on corksport.

Wow where to start? lol

#1 The VICS manifold is nothing like VTEC. VTEC is variable cam timing/lift and VICS is variable legnth runners.

#2 The manifold he mentioned and the Protege one are the same manifold including VICS.

#3 There was never a JDM 4 banger 2nd gem MX6. They were all V6's with the base motor being a 2.0L V6.

And ofcourse there are turbo kits for the FS, atleast 2 I can think ofe off the top of my head.

·
Registered
817 Posts
#1 yea like I said I have never used the JDM manifold. From looking at pictures thats what it looked like it would do. I guess I was a little off, timing versus runner length oops...

#2 thats what i said...

#3 Really the FS-ZE is a 6 cylinder? I was almost 100% sure it was a 4 cylinder.

ebay kits don't count... name some im interested to see them. I'd rather assemble my parts seperately anyway unless it is stuff like the racingmazda kit above.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
#1 yea like I said I have never used the JDM manifold. From looking at pictures thats what it looked like it would do. I guess I was a little off, timing versus runner length oops...

#2 thats what i said...

#3 Really the FS-ZE is a 6 cylinder? I was almost 100% sure it was a 4 cylinder.

ebay kits don't count... name some im interested to see them. I'd rather assemble my parts seperately anyway unless it is stuff like the racingmazda kit above.

It's called the KF-ZE. It's basicly a bored out K8 like the MX3 V6.

I know the jap Proteges/Familia's came with the FS-ZE and I believe the 626 ( I forget the Japanese name for it) came with a nearly identical version but no 2nd gen Japanese MX-6 ever came with a four cylinder. The same goes for the Aus market MX-6 and atleast some euro market cars.

As far as turbo kits go the trick is knowing what kits will clear the 93-97 distributor ignition equiped cars.

The stock MSP kit and some direct replacement Protege kits wont fit because of the disty. Others mount the turbo slightly lower or further out and will clear.

If I had a 2.0 I would have allready documented all this but as it is you would have to try it your self or ask around the 2.0 community to see what fits. I helped my friend TJ pick out parts for his setup but I dont recall what brand his manifold is ( he decided to go DIY)

141 - 160 of 181 Posts