Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This can be stickied if the admins would like})

Since there are all the I4-V6 threads that are posted all the time I figure its about time to sticky one with all the needed information. Here is a list of EVERYTHING you will need to do for this swap.
Before you EVER consider this swap, make it easier on yourself and buy a donor car( V6 MTX GT). You can find one cheap with a decent motor but maybe a trashed body.

Prepping to remove motor

1. Unbolt the exhuast from the header ([2] 17mm nuts)
2. Remove header ([8] 12mm bolts [2] 12mm nuts)
3. Remove hood ([4] 12mm bolts)
4. Unbolt front motor mount from crossmember ([2] 17mm nuts)
5. Unbolt lower tranny mount from crossmember ([2] 14mm nuts)
6. Remove subframe support and crossmember ([8] 17mm Bolts and [2] 17mm nuts)
7. Remove "chair" bracket from rear "transmission" mount and transmission ([3] 17mm Bolts and [1] 17mm nut attached to mount through bolt)
8. Remove rear "transmission" mount ([2] 17mm nuts [1] 17mm bolt)
9. Unplug all electrical connectors from engine wiring harness.
10. Remove A/C compressor hoses ([2] 12mm Bolts)
11. Remove power streering pump hose ([2] 12mm Bolts) ([1] 10mm bolt on Valve Cover)
12. Remove passenger side and drivers side axels ([2] 1 1/4 Hub Nuts)
13. Attach engine hoist to engine hooks
14. Remove passenger side motor mount ([1] 17mm Bolt)
15. Remove drivers side motor mount ([3] 17mm nuts and [2] 17mm bolt)

Motor/Transaxle removal

1. Remove the 2.0L motor and transmission.
2. Remove the main engine harness (you must remove drivers side fender, harness goes through frame infront of the door)
3. Unplug all engine harness connections under the dash
4. Remove the interior dash
( Note: does not HAVE to be done, but makes things easier. If you are a 2.0L ATX swapping to a 2.5L MTX then you MUST remove dash to install pedals)
5. Unbolt ECU harness from ECU (10mm bolt)
6. Unbolt the ECU
7. Remove the ECU harness (harness that goes through the firewall held inplace by a large rubber dust boot)

Repeat all previous removal steps on the donor car

All 2.0L and 2.5L motor mounts are interchangeable EXCEPT Automatic model front mounts are not compatible on Manuals)

Repeat all removal steps in reverse to install the new V6 motor and transmission

·
Registered
27 Posts
So that's all you have to do? you don't have to buy any other stuff to fit the v6 motor? and thanks for all the info i appreciate it

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty much the jist of it. You MUST have a donor car to do it "easily". I will be posting pictures soon to add to the write up to make it more understanable.

Josh

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MyloMX6 said:
donor car? so i cant just get a v6 from a place and get it swapped? y not?
Cuase you will need every bit of the wiring harness from the firewall forward. you will need the V6 axels, sensors, ETC. Alot of shit you dont want to be heading back to the junkyard evertime you need something. Having the donor car makes it a 1000 times easier. Otherwise you will probably give up halfway through.

Jon said:
Front crossmember is the same?
Yep:tup:

Josh

·
Registered
27 Posts
So how do i find a donor car? go find a wrecked one? i mean cuz i was juss thinking of lookin it up in the phonebook and finding the engine but with what you are saying that isnt going to work. Is it going to be a HUGE problem to swap the i4 for a v6? and could i just get my engine rebuilt? and it owuld be the same right because i dont know anything about rebulkding engines

T

·
0 Posts
i need help selecting performance part

im doing an engine swap with my mx6 i need to know what the best performance parts i need to make it fast

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well what kind of engine swap are you doing?

Josh

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is what youll need:
1. V6 Motor (with Exhaust Manifolds...manny wrecking yards have these removed, so youll need to ask for them if your not using a full donor car)
2. V6 Tranny
3. V6 Axles/Intermediate Half Shaft
4. ECU and complete wiring harness (I used the V6 fuses boxes as well, just to be sure)
5. V6 Radiator and Fans
6. Gauge Cluster (Just to be as accurate as possible :))
7. Your exhaust will now not line up, so you will have to take it to an exhaust shop, unless you can weld, to sew it all back up.
8. After all is said and done, I also recommend taking your car to get the alignment checked since you have knocked out both axles.

Prior to doing the swap, it is wise to get the following for your new motor:

New water pump, new oil pump, new belts and hoses, new spark plugs and plug wires, of course a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel to mate to your new tranny, new motor mounts (and/or inserts since we are adding more power), new intake mani gaskets, new disty (this is pure preference...have the V6 one checked if using a used one).

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. The list is quite extensive but worth it in the end. This is why many say it is better to simply begin with a V6, especially if your doing a KLZE swap, which is what I swapped my I4 out for. Ill trade 118 hp for 200hp any day ;). I had my car quite modified in the exterior/interior dept, so I did want to part ways and start over. So to each his own....And for those of you in Cali....you CAN pass smog with a I4 to V6 swap...even if it is a ZE. If anyone as questions, please let me know.

Eric

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
wow, amazing. i was just thinking about this. since i have a relatively nice I4 model, and a rougher aborted LS project (engine is toast i found out), I'm thinking of converting my I4 for v6 compatibility (using the project car as a donor) and swapping in a ZE.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What do you think of doing an I4 to V6 swap plus the ATX to MTX swap at the same time. I'm thinking just take out I4 motor and ATXtranny together, and put in V6 motor and MTX tranny. Good idea, or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
well, that's what i would be doing. since you're replacing the front mount and the axles, that wouldn't pose a problem.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
erock1....did you have someone do the swap or do it yourself....Im saving right now how much do you think for total cost...I4 to ZE

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did the swap myself...total cost including all new parts was around 3000.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
erock1 said:
I did the swap myself...total cost including all new parts was around 3000.
All new parts as in what wiring harness and sensors..etc..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts