Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
genetic said:
interesting idea. very very interesting. anyone can answer this? i am too curious.
Possible? Anything is possible.

If your question is, "does it fit with relative ease (such as a KLZE swap)?", the answer is definately no.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
if fabricating motor mounts and axles is one of your specialties then a 1gen swap would be easy:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
ill prob end up goin to the junk yard or somethin and gettin the motor and tranny and rebuildin it and then pay someone to do it i would jus go ahead and throw a turbo on my 2nd gen but i wanna make sure the motor will be able to handle the turbo and not blow up on me

·
Registered
9 Posts
come on dont tell me im the first to think of this i know atleast one person has attempted to do this if someone has done this e-mail me please lemme know how it worked and how much it costs

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
oh its been done before, actually I believe it was an Fe-dohc (fe3) but its not easy and very, very expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
o yea well lemme know some good sites to find jdm motors cuz my boy was tellin me they make a turbo jdm motor for it and i wanna check it out

·
Registered
104 Posts
sell your i4 and buy a v6 youll spend way more to put in a v6

·
Registered
4 Posts
nolanspawn said:
This can be stickied if the admins would like})

Since there are all the I4-V6 threads that are posted all the time I figure its about time to sticky one with all the needed information. Here is a list of EVERYTHING you will need to do for this swap.
Before you EVER consider this swap, make it easier on yourself and buy a donor car( V6 MTX GT). You can find one cheap with a decent motor but maybe a trashed body.

Prepping to remove motor

1. Unbolt the exhuast from the header ([2] 17mm nuts)
2. Remove header ([8] 12mm bolts [2] 12mm nuts)
3. Remove hood ([4] 12mm bolts)
4. Unbolt front motor mount from crossmember ([2] 17mm nuts)
5. Unbolt lower tranny mount from crossmember ([2] 14mm nuts)
6. Remove subframe support and crossmember ([8] 17mm Bolts and [2] 17mm nuts)
7. Remove "chair" bracket from rear "transmission" mount and transmission ([3] 17mm Bolts and [1] 17mm nut attached to mount through bolt)
8. Remove rear "transmission" mount ([2] 17mm nuts [1] 17mm bolt)
9. Unplug all electrical connectors from engine wiring harness.
10. Remove A/C compressor hoses ([2] 12mm Bolts)
11. Remove power streering pump hose ([2] 12mm Bolts) ([1] 10mm bolt on Valve Cover)
12. Remove passenger side and drivers side axels ([2] 1 1/4 Hub Nuts)
13. Attach engine hoist to engine hooks
14. Remove passenger side motor mount ([1] 17mm Bolt)
15. Remove drivers side motor mount ([3] 17mm nuts and [2] 17mm bolt)

Motor/Transaxle removal

1. Remove the 2.0L motor and transmission.
2. Remove the main engine harness (you must remove drivers side fender, harness goes through frame infront of the door)
3. Unplug all engine harness connections under the dash
4. Remove the interior dash
( Note: does not HAVE to be done, but makes things easier. If you are a 2.0L ATX swapping to a 2.5L MTX then you MUST remove dash to install pedals)
5. Unbolt ECU harness from ECU (10mm bolt)
6. Unbolt the ECU
7. Remove the ECU harness (harness that goes through the firewall held inplace by a large rubber dust boot)

Repeat all previous removal steps on the donor car

All 2.0L and 2.5L motor mounts are interchangeable EXCEPT Automatic model front mounts are not compatible on Manuals)

Repeat all removal steps in reverse to install the new V6 motor and transmission

That was on probetalk.com, you just copy/paste all of this. And guess what? It not all and some of the thing mention here are not to do or change. I've done a I4 to V6 KLZE swap in my drive way with my father and it not that complex. A LOT of [shizzle] are behind said like: buy a LS or Damn this swap is [fizzle]ing impossible or to expensive dont even try to do it. Guess what...it all bull [shizzle]. Of course doing all this by yourself is not that easy but compare to someone who want to change V6 KLDE to V6 KLZE, it not a lot more job to do. In fact...it praticly the same except for 2 or 3 things to change. In my case, doing all this with a donor car that a buy 1300can give me at the end 300$ and more by selling part on the second car. And im really happy with my klze now and paying I4 insurence :D

(sorry for my lack of english)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dante said:
That was on probetalk.com, you just copy/paste all of this.
I seriously hope you are not as dumb as you made yourself sound. Of course it was posted on Probetalk too dingdong.....I was the one who posted it.
And here is the PT post....check who the post origionator was:
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701118462

Dante said:
It not all and some of the thing mention here are not to do or change. I've done a I4 to V6 KLZE swap in my drive way with my father and it not that complex. A LOT of [shizzle] are behind said like: buy a LS or Damn this swap is [fizzle]ing impossible or to expensive dont even try to do it. Guess what...it all bull [shizzle]. Of course doing all this by yourself is not that easy but compare to someone who want to change V6 KLDE to V6 KLZE, it not a lot more job to do. In fact...it praticly the same except for 2 or 3 things to change. In my case, doing all this with a donor car that a buy 1300can give me at the end 300$ and more by selling part on the second car. And im really happy with my klze now and paying I4 insurence :D

(sorry for my lack of english)

You SERIOUSLY need to read young one and learn how to type. First off....I never said its better to start with a V6. What I said is that if you have a V6 donor car on stand by to pull parts from it would be easier that way you didnt have to go looking for parts that you need everytime you needed something. I still recommend using the I4 you have. I have seen beat up V6 probes for $100, and they have great motors. Therefore good investment. Then you could sell what else is good. Never did I say use the V6 you bought. And by the way.....I never needed my dad to help me work on my car:angel:

Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
nolanspawn said:
I seriously hope you are not as dumb as you made yourself sound. Of course it was posted on Probetalk too dingdong.....I was the one who posted it.
And here is the PT post....check who the post origionator was:
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701118462

You SERIOUSLY need to read young one and learn how to type. First off....I never said its better to start with a V6. What I said is that if you have a V6 donor car on stand by to pull parts from it would be easier that way you didnt have to go looking for parts that you need everytime you needed something. I still recommend using the I4 you have. I have seen beat up V6 probes for $100, and they have great motors. Therefore good investment. Then you could sell what else is good. Never did I say use the V6 you bought. And by the way.....I never needed my dad to help me work on my car:angel:

Josh
Calm down dude, i didnt say you said it was better to start with a v6, just what people generaly think. And I dont care what you think about me getting some help of my dad, it just good to have it when I work + school. Just to be clair, the list you made was incomplet, that all. And for the "learn how to type" Sorry im french, but not to bad I can read english, can you read french? Never the less...your step by step need some ajustment. Dont take it bad but as a tip.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dante said:
Calm down dude, i didnt say you said it was better to start with a v6, just what people generaly think. And I dont care what you think about me getting some help of my dad, it just good to have it when I work + school. Just to be clair, the list you made was incomplet, that all. And for the "learn how to type" Sorry im french, but not to bad I can read english, can you read french? Never the less...your step by step need some ajustment. Dont take it bad but as a tip.
My apologies on the typing comment. Didnt realize you werent american. Just figured by the lack of punctuation you were an ignorant American ricer...oh well. Sorry had to make you feel stupid if you were a ignorant ricer....

Although you are French:freak: .... just messin with ya

·
Registered
163 Posts
anyone know if i can use the v6 auto harness? i know the ecu is different... cause i can get an auto really cheap apposed to 600 more for the 5spd. i have a spare 5spd sittin around so i think this is a better idea if the harness works out ok.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
mono4lamar said:
anyone know if i can use the v6 auto harness? i know the ecu is different... cause i can get an auto really cheap apposed to 600 more for the 5spd. i have a spare 5spd sittin around so i think this is a better idea if the harness works out ok.
NO. you can't put an auto ecu into a manual.

So, after reading all this, i got the gistic point. However, i just want to clear what i'm looking for. I have a I4. I want to put my klze engine in. Does the I4 tranny work for this motor? If not, i know a LS tranny will work, but i don;t think the RS tranny axles will work on a LS tranny. SOmeone sais they work fine, but i didn't think they were the same.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Axels I cannot remember, the 4cyl tranny wont fit on the v6 motor.

Josh

·
Registered
163 Posts
midrange said:
NO. you can't put an auto ecu into a manual.

So, after reading all this, i got the gistic point. However, i just want to clear what i'm looking for. I have a I4. I want to put my klze engine in. Does the I4 tranny work for this motor? If not, i know a LS tranny will work, but i don;t think the RS tranny axles will work on a LS tranny. SOmeone sais they work fine, but i didn't think they were the same.
if you read i didnt say the ecu i know that... i said the auto harness that comes from the engine to fuse pannel in the engine bay to the ecu.

also yes the I4 axels will work they are the same size its just that they are not as strong. i would use them till i got my hads on some v6 axels...

21 - 40 of 61 Posts