Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,386 Posts
one other thing

It may have something to do with your thermostat, or Temperature sendig unit. The reason I say that, is cause if the computer "thinks" that the car is cold, it will run a richer fuel to air ratio, and idle higher. The rich fuel to air ratio would explain the poor gas mileage.

Does your temp guage register warm? Mine was always about halfway up.

My sister's car (1991 MX6 LX)was idling @1500rpms also, and her heater never would get warm, although the temp guage always was in the middle too. We pulled out the old thermostat, and someone had taken out the spring, and valve (bascially all that makes it a thermostat). We put in a new thermostat, now the car idles good, and the heater is warm. The temperature guage still goes to the "halfway" mark. I don't understand that, but oh well

Just a thought, good luck.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Oh yeah

By the way, the correct idle should be 750 RPMS (when engine is warm). There is a sticker under your hood that tells you what your idle, timing, refrigerant, and other things should be.

And temp guage should not go past halfway--like Rendell said.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.